The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
option8

Outrageous Signs on the cheap

Hey gang...It's so quiet around here lately, I thought I'd stir things up a bit. Get out your sun shades, this one is blinding!

I have been successful with making high impact signs on the cheap. In this case, necessity is the mother of invention, so I hope this helps someone else save some money and get the phone ringing. Here's what we do...

Buy neon poster board and cut them in half. If you use hot pink or bright orange they are visible from blocks away! We found some advertising "call-outs" in the same neon colors from OfficeDepot (I checked with the manufacturer, U.S. Stamp & Sign. They are at OfficeMax and Staples too!). They are acutally called "Vivid Die-Cut Paper Signs". They come in 3 sizes... use the 2 largest ones. Here's a picture of what they look like at OfficeMax

We write our signs with the sign oriented in the vertical position using a Magnum Marker. They say something like...

RENT - 2 - OWN

Call

866-XXX-XXXX Ext. XX

<---------------

1234 Main Street

We then use a contrasting neon colored "call outs" which read

EASY

QUALIFYING! or

SWEAT

EQUITY! or

STOP

RENTING!

The smaller ones read

____

NO

BANKS! or

_____

AVAIL.

NOW!

____

We staple these "call-outs" in a few places, off-sides on the signs with a plain old office stapler.

Using the vertical orientation allows us use an impact stapler / hammer to slam these onto wooden telephone and utility poles. (If you haven't seen one of these hammers, it is a must in your bandit sign tool belt....Those signs go up and they never come down! It is a great way to work out your frustrations!)

We also impact hammer 2 signs straight down the centers back-to-back onto surveyors stakes, then staple the two signs together around the edge with an office stapler.

This really doesn't take too much work...I can create about 20 sugns in about an hour. They are visible from way off and It is absolutely impossible to ignore them! Imagine a hot pink neon sign with lime green neon flags or how about neon orange with hot pink......You want to see how outrageous they are? Go to the office supply store or copy center and play with neon color combinations They look like nothing else out there and never get lost in the confusion of other signs. I've decided that subtle is not the goal when marketing properties!

I create the signs leaving the directonal arrow off and quickly draw this in after figure out where I will put the sign. I get it up and scribble an arrow on it..

I'm no artist, but I'm getting pretty good at lettering these. Did you ever wonder how those sign makers free hand so well? It comes with practice! My latest batch of signs came out looking pretty nice (particularly when you compare them to my first efforts). Make a mistake? Flip it over and use the other side!

The other great thing about these signs...the poster board priced at an International Paper retail store calld XPEDX is costing us 1 1/2 cents per piece. Now that's cheap! And you can purchase it in minimal quantities. 25 sheets = 50 signs and 75 cents. I originally used coated poster board which costs a little more, but still the signs may only costs 25 cents.

The manyfacturer is down the road and I'm going to inquire about bulk purchases.

We were amazed at how long the signs are lasting. I am sure all of you have heard about how much rain parts of the Midwest is getting. We have been hammered with drenching downpours every night for over a week and in all my XX years, I've never seen the river so high. We usually have a pathethic little creek running down our riverbed!! I went out yesterday and was amazed at how many of my 3 cent signs were still standing, valiantly on their little stakes! (from 3 weeks ago, with the ink still intact!) AND if someone takes them down, you aren't out a $1 or $2 per removal .... only pennies.

People tell us that they saw our signs ... they explicitly say that "you can't miss them". I even got a call from a potential TB in Colorado today. How did he hear about us from way out there? He contacted a realtor in my area yesterday about rentals for Aug 1st. She called him back this morning and said she couldn't help him, but she SAW THIS SIGN on her way home yesterday and here's the number - she suggested that "Maybe they can help you" ... (I gotta get the name of that realtor)

One more tip...We are making an extra signs and putting them in the window - upstairs if there is one both in the front and the back of the house. We've noticed how many houses back up to the street, but no one can see it is available if they aren't driving around front. The neon shows up great from the next street. If the one in the front yard wilts or gets removed, you have a backup!

Finally, we are both the conservative, low key types. My partner was kinda quiet when she saw my outrageous creations. Yesterday we filed the deed to another property and on the way home we stopped by to put up a few fast signs. She chuckled at me and my sign bandit routine, then watched people stopping to read the signs and listened to the phone ringing before we could get home.

Outrageous? Yes!

Effective? Definitely!

Fun? You bet!

Do you have any good marketing suggestions?

from the trenches...

option8

Option8, thank you for another great post and marketing suggestion! I certainly appreciate it, and I know everyone here on the board does, too. You could not be more correct when you noted that marketing and subtlety do not peacefully coexist! It pays, literally, to be brash and bold about getting your name and number all about town. Marketing is ground zero in this business, and it's where most novices fall short and quit.

The other issue I always hear from novices is that their marketing budget is tight. Well, at pennies per homemade sign, that excuse is no longer valid.

The bottom line, investor friends, is to get out there and take a very active, hands on approach to your success: market, market, market!

Update on the Outrageous Signs!

Okay folks...It's 2 weeks later and it has still been storming and flooding in Ohio.

I am happy to report the the VaLOS (that would be "Valiant Little Outrageous Signs" ) are still standin' strong and hangin' in there on the poles. The ink is still readable and the little call out flags are hangin on too!.

The only casualty was the sign in the front yard...

This one died because it is in a "kid's neighborhood" and I think our flashy littly sign

was just to outrageous for the kids to resist.

These signs were using the Royal Coated paper (the 25 cent signs) I have also had a test posterboard of uncoated paper (1 1/2 cent paper) exposed to the elements in my back yard. It seems to be holding up too.

Anyway, that's my report from the field.

(I vote to save my marketing dollars for other things....these signs are definitely keepers!!!)

option8

Hello, option8. Thank you for the update. Those VaLOS :unsure: are apparently tough lil' buggers. What a great idea you're on to. I assume many of us reading this are taking notes and learning how to create our own bandit signs on the cheap. In fact, I'm waiting to hear you announce your new website, (valos.com?), where we can order your "cool, cheap, but sturdy bandit signs for the investor". Will you be offering a Naked Investor discount to our registered members?

option8,

Okay I can kinda visualize it. Now, what if you made a template used 1/2 a sheet of paper, 1stencil set, 1 exacto knife and 1 can of black spraypaint (Dollartree), how many do you think you could make in an hour with a template? after typing this up and thinking about it, it would take away from the home made apeal but what about using it for I BUY HOUSES signs or even to just spray on your arrows on the for sale signs.

either way just a thought

My wife says its a man thing we always try to sup things up.....

Bandit signs may be illegal, but what about using the outrageous sign concept in the yard or in the window or for your flyers...this idea can be extended to include anything you do to draw attention to your business. I'm now thinking that I want my car sign to be neon. But then again, maybe not. I might cause an accident! :)

Option8

moneynfast,

My understand is that this isn't such a good idea. However, you could slip a business card on the driver's side window, just under the edge of the rubber. People do tend to keep business cards and this location isn't as irritating as on the windshield. (You've been there...get in the car, just get settled with the seatbelt buckled only to realize that there's a flyer under the wiper and you have to get out to remove it.

option8

Option8 where do you put your flyers. I been to several stores, and I mean none of them had bullentin boards so I through my towel in. Any suggestions!!!!!!!!!! :)

MichaelR

I'm with Michael --- any flat surface, either horizontal or vertical!

Here are some suggestions:

Next to any cash register

I have some in the copy center --- they let me put them on their counter.

We ask employees to post them in their employee break room in Home Depot and Lowes and anywhere else we shop, eat, move or do business.

Laundry mat

We have gone to apartment complexes and posted the signs on Friday evening on the central mailboxes, in the laundry room, we've slid them under apartment doors,

taped them next to indoor mail boxes, put them on cars handles, everywhere...

Stop at any "buy here, pay here car lot" and ask them if you can leave some around

(better yet, get some marketing going with them!)

Slide them under church doors

How about going into office buildings and ask to place them in the breakroom where the vending machines are.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm thinking of sending a letter to every Church Pastor(or rabbi or priest) in my geography. They always know when people need a home. Wouldn't it be great if they'd stick your 1/2 or 1/3 page flyer in their bulliten when you have a property to move.

Gotta go now, but more later...

option8

okay,

here is a short (marketing) story

I made a deal with my daughter that if I taught her how to drive a stick she would help me market. Well after 2 clutches, a neck brass and 1 starterher first lesson was over. So we went a mareting, well as were going buy shoe carnaval. I was in stealth mode (you know walk and slap) well I didn't want anyone that worked there knowing what I was doing. So, I would place them in front of thier posters (to hide them on the inside). Tell me why thier poster had to fall right as I was putting up my flier......of course my daughter laughs so hard she falls on the ground

Damn, Tony, that reminds me............my recently turned 15 year old daughter wants to get her permit and start driving lessons with dear ol' dad.

"Not bloody likely", as our British brothers might say. Ah, what's the worst that can happen? I mean, c'mon, how difficult and trying can it be to teach a lil' girl how to drive daddy's car? Should be fun..........right :wacko::wub: ??

Oh, wait, this thread is about marketing...........could have been worse.......you could have been plastering my mother in law with flyers, (she's big enough for eight on one side), and her tent/dress might have fallen at the same time........hysterical blindness, I tell you, hysterical blindness.