The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Elegua101

Options and legal advertisement

I was looking through the paper the other day and found this:

We can help you sell your house!

NO COMMISIONS!

When I called up. It turns out to be an investor for lackof better wprds who is doing the Options part of thhe market. This is my perseption.

The concern that I have is this:

Is it not ILLEGAL to say in the paper that you can help someone sell their home. It could be misunderstood that you are a AUTHENIC REAL ESTATE AGENT?

What would have been a better way to say this without the potential legal shady area popping up?

Hello, Elegua, and welcome to The Naked Investor. Stick around and become a regular. We're happy to have you join our new community.

I am not an attorney. With that out of the way I will offer you my opinion based on my experience as an investor. It is not illegal to advertise a house for sale or for lease purchase if you aren't the owner. I've done it literally hundreds of times, and can do so because I am acting as a principal in the deal.

My agreement with the homeowner gives me control of the property and an interest in it. As such I am not acting as a realtor and I am not misleading anyone into thinking I am a realtor. In fact, I make it a point to state that I am not one when I am speaking with a potential purchaser or tenant/buyer.

Michael I have my ad in the paper now, but my local paper is spendy. $83.16 for one week. So I went to the nickle ad and its only 10.00 dollars a week, thats $40.00 a month I can handle that. Nickle ad will be the one I use.

MichaelR :rolleyes:

That's fine, Michael. Always work within your budget. Remember a few things about your marketing plan. First, be consistent. Do not run one or two ads, and then decide advertising doesn't work because you haven't yet cashed a check for $3,000. You are laying the foundation for your business. Give it and yourself a chance at success.

The other thing I want to stress is to diversify your marketing. Newspaper ads are great. But, that is only one form of marketing. Use others, as many as you can think of and afford, and keep careful records as to what works best. After two months or so, you'll have a better idea of which marketing methods are most effective and you can streamline and progress from there.

Roger, when I first started, my primary source of marketing was newspaper advertising. I would run my ad every Sunday in the Albuquerque Journal: AAA Credit/References. Family needs lease with purchase option in good area. Phone number. This little three line ad cost me about $13 per week, and I ran it for years. I would consistenly receive three to four calls weekly, and sometimes more. The bottom line is this generated many deals over the years. Now, here in Florida the cost of newspsper ads is very expensive and I don't see it as practical for someone starting out.

Another main source of my marketing campaign was, and is, networking. I always let people know what I do. Especially those who might be in a position to help me: Realtors, mortgage brokers, title company employees, etc.

After years in this business you will also find that deals come to you. For example, I can't count the number of deals I have received as a result of a neighbor or friend of someone who I bailed out with a lease purchase deal giving me a call.

The moral of the story: there is no one best way to market. What works for you in your area may not be the best for someone else in their part of the world. My advice is to always market within your budget, (you don't want to go broke in six weeks and quit on your dream), diversify your marketing for maximum exposure, and keep careful records of what the results are of your various marketing efforts. Within three to four months, maybe less, maybe more, you'll have an accurate representation of what is working and where to spend your marketing efforts and dollars.