The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
rkim777

How to avoid theft of outdoor central HVAC units?

Hi. I hope somebody can answer this one. My contractors are reluctant to put in central HVAC units on houses we are rehabbing or building new until an offer is made on the house since they say the units will be stolen, especially since the copper components are now valuable because of the high price of copper. From boot camps and seminars, I've been told that the house has to be in immaculate condition for it to sell to retail buyers. Our houses are not in war zones but my contractors say that thieves are stealing outdoor central HVAC units even in the best neighborhoods here.

Is there a way to install outdoor central HVAC units such that they can't be stolen or are my contractors correct in not installing them until offers are made on our houses? TIA.

I had a stainless steel stove/oven stolen from a new construction L/O house. The contractor is probably correct. When houses are vacant and dark with different trades in & out doing their work, easy items get stolen. The only thing to do is put a dog on the property or some exterior lighting. You can still show the property. You just need to explain to the potential buyer tenant/buyer why it is not installed with out making the property seem like it is in a high crime area and that the HVAC condenser will be installed by the time they move-in.

Thieves are now lifting central AC compressors? That's a new one by me. I would think that's a pretty tough task to complete without drawing attention to yourself. Can it be stopped? I suppose if somebody is desperate enough nothing will stop them. Is the neighborhood a bad one? Can you ask the neighbors to keep their eyes and ears open for you?

I would go along with the contractors advice, and it can and is in the best of neighborhood or worst

I would go along with the contractors advice, and it can and is in the best of neighborhood or worst

Thanks to all for your input. I think it is best for the contractors to laeve out the units then. I can't believe how desperate crackheads are for a fix!

its not just crackheads anymore, its the guy next door that got layed off 2 month ago.

P.S. Keep an eye on your catalitic coverter it can be removed in minutes and can be sold for $200-$500. The original article I saw was in michigan, soon one started here.

(for the platnum)

p.s.s where's that spell check

I had a stainless steel stove/oven stolen from a new construction L/O house. The contractor is probably correct. When houses are vacant and dark with different trades in & out doing their work, easy items get stolen. The only thing to do is put a dog on the property or some exterior lighting. You can still show the property. You just need to explain to the potential buyer tenant/buyer why it is not installed with out making the property seem like it is in a high crime area and that the HVAC condenser will be installed by the time they move-in.

Excellent answer!

This is happening all the time now. And yes, saying it will be installed once they purchase/move in is the way to go!!!!

Hi Guys , Wow does this one hit home .DO NOT put ac or any copper units in until ready to move in . I have lost 8 units this year alone . one street they stole every one on the street even occupied homes with live wires and all . (Wish I could walk up on one ,I have a lot of anger to vent )they walk up and cut the freon lines and electrical lines and off they go , to somewhere they can disassemble it and sell it for junk.I have been removing units if a house is vacant and telling people that next day it will be hooked up. It has become so newsworthy people seem to understand. It seems that area has nothing to do with it . Good luck and keep a look out for someone moving a unit in a truck.

Tracy Mills

This is a big issue in one of the areas I buy rental houses (Birmingham, AL). My contractors do not place the HVAC units until right before the property is rented. Even the Section 8 inspectors accept that this is done that way. Once the units are installed, I have a contractor come in and weld a steel protective cage over them to help deter theft. It costs me about $150 for labor and materials.

Dawn

I have a contractor come in and weld a steel protective cage over them to help deter theft. It costs me about $150 for labor and materials.

Dido's Dawn but my son is a welder and can get...ahhh....scraps I love FREE

I have a contractor come in and weld a steel protective cage over them to help deter theft. It costs me about $150 for labor and materials.

Dido's Dawn but my son is a welder and can get...ahhh....scraps I love FREE

Would your son swing by Birmingham and do these for me too......lol......

p.s.s where's that spell check

Tony, you do realize I'm an investor by day and a SPELLING COP on this board by night, dontcha?

sexy-cop-costume.JPG

BEV!

Where you hiding your dictionary, woman??

Who the heck cares she can arrest me anyday whip.gifeyeheart.gif