The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Troy_Ross

Bandit Signs

First allow me to say that I am sorry to have been away from this forum for so long - but we are back! Hope everyone is well!

I just received the following email message from the Big MC. Here it is:

Hello Troy,

How've you been? Hope all is well with you and Rachel. A quick question for you. I seem to recall you running into some problems with bandit sign placement. Seems the local constables and such were hounding and threatening you with all sorts of fines and torture.

Were you ever able to resolve this matter and figure out a way around the authorities? I'm being asked this question with increasing frequency it seems, and I'm just looking for a variety of opinions and experiences. Thanks, bud.

MC

Now, let's discuss the topic, shall we?

I first learned about Bandit signs in December of 2002. I made my own. I bought 100 blanks, created a plastic sheet template with what I wanted the sign to say, and painted each one. In January of 2003, I posted 25 of them in two days around one area about 10 square miles. Basically I plastered the area (mistake) so that everywhere you looked, my big a$$ yellow signs were seen. Within days I had calls from several people wanting to sell their homes. NONE of them were deals. Not one!

Within three days, the power company called me and told me to STOP putting signs on THEIR poles. They said they took down ten of them. I agreed to stop.

Within four days, the local police called :P and advised me to CEASE the action or else be fined $100 per sign PER day that they stayed up. It is unlawful in my town to post signs within the area of any roadway. I agreed to comply and within a week the rest of the signs were removed.

Now, that being said, I did not want to let money go to waste on the signs. I still had 75 to go. Call it hard-headed. In May 2003, I put up 15 signs all within a 25 mile square area. Now my signs were posted far and few between. The area I chose was on the other side of town. And, I posted them starting at 3am :ph34r: - it's easier to see who is around. I actually felt guilty (believe it or not). But we needed a break for the business. So we took a chance.

By 11am that morning, we got our first deal which resulted in us buying a house for $20,000. It is a rental. We got it refinanced. The appraisal came in at $45k. Bam! $25k in our pockets plus we get the rent each month! (That's what I'm talkin' bout!)

Since that day, we've bought one house netting the profit mentioned above AND we are currently working on 3 other deals as a DIRECT result of these signs (Deal one should net us about $20k, Deal two should net us about $35k, and Deal three should net us about $10k). All of this was made possible with the Bandit signs. :P

I did get a call from the local police again in June 2003. This time the officer was pretty cool about things. He told me to keep the signs as far apart as possible. He did tell me that some other officer could call me in the future and take other more desperate actions by fining me. Overall, I got a slap on the wrist. Whew! :unsure:

Now let's talk about the ethical and moral views on these signs. Allow me to state here and now that once my supply of signs are gone, I will not post any new ones. Here's why: It's illegal. Sure I am a hypocrite I suppose since I will continue to post until they are used up. And many folks say that they are "ugly", "trashy", "make the landscape look bad". I say 'so do billboards!' We are bombarded EVERYDAY with advertising - in our mail, email, newspapers, tv, radio, stores, streets, internet, and the list goes on. Now maybe I made a mistake by placing my signs on every other pole down the street. Maybe one or two per mile is more "acceptable". But who defines "acceptable"? The city laws do (unfortunately). And MORE THAN LIKELY you will find that YOUR city or town probably has those laws too. Whether or not you get "caught" or "fined" depends on your local law enforcement and their desire to pursue you.

After my supply is gone, we are going to go the "flyer" route. We have already developed our flyers and will mail or deliver them to each door in target zip code areas. It's legal and may bring us some good deals. I'll sleep better using this form of marketing.

The bottom line here is this: Bandit Signs are illegal BUT they can make you ALOT of money. If you decide to use them, do so sparingly, and do so knowing that there are consequences. I am not suggesting that anyone break the law, though I have ;) . I am just taking the chance. My luck may just run out. So I must accept that fact. You decide for yourself.

Hello, Troy. Good to hear from you again. And better still to read that you're doing well!

I especially liked this:

By 11am that morning, we got our first deal which resulted in us buying a house for $20,000. It is a rental. We got it refinanced. The appraisal came in at $45k. Bam! $25k in our pockets plus we get the rent each month! (That's what I'm talkin' bout!)

Since that day, we've bought one house netting the profit mentioned above AND we are currently working on 3 other deals as a DIRECT result of these signs (Deal one should net us about $20k, Deal two should net us about $35k, and Deal three should net us about $10k). All of this was made possible with the Bandit signs.

Makes the risk to reward factor hard to ignore :unsure: .

I appreciate the post, Troy, and your sharing this info. I know others on this board will benefit from reading your experiences.

Troy,

Good story.

I have to add one thing however.

In my area it is LEGAL to place bandit signs where ever you want as long as they don't go up before midnight Friday and don't stay up past midnight Sunday. Of course if one or two just happen to stay up into the week...ooops :unsure: .

My suggestion is anyone thinking about putting up signs, just call your city and ask what the laws are....then make up your mind from there.

Glad to hear you're getting deals done. Care to share some in more detail??

Sure, I can share my experiences (if MC doesn't mind). However, it would be best that you view my online diary regarding my experiences in real estate investing. The diary, otherwise called 'blog', is located at My Investor's Diary :unsure:

Sure, I can share my experiences (if MC doesn't mind).
Troy, not only do I not mind you doing so, but I would welcome the idea. Go for it, amigo, as time and your mood permits you to do so.

Guest Tim Williams

I assume "bandit signs" means small signs you buy houses or something like that?

I have done this a few times. My signs are simply 8 1/2 x 11" printed on standard paper and inserted into plastic sleeves. I put a piece of card stock paper in the sleeve to give it some rigidity, and staple it to an 18" wooden stake that I can quickly and easily hammer into the ground at most any intersecton during a red light. My signs simply say:

I BUY HOUSES.

Fair prices paid.

555-1212

Most calls are from people expecting full retail prices. However, I have purchased two houses thus far as a result of these signs. One was a flip that netted me $6000 after paying an agent fee. The other deal has been one of my best short term deals to date. It made me nearly $35,000.

I'll continue to place these signs and to date I have not had any complaints. I usually dont' put up more than a dozen or so, but I put them at busy intersections near traffic lights and stop signs where people will seen them.

Thank you for sharing that, Tim. $35,000 is a lot of reasons to continue with what is working for you in the marketing department! Congratulations on that one!

...........and if you haven't already done so, why not register and stick around here a while. It sounds as if we could benefit from some of your insight and experience.