The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
GetSmart

Craigslist losing its juice in the RE segment.

You know there's a very simple solution (assuming craigslist even cares) all they have to do is create another section called: "For Sale By Owner". Realtors will avoid it like the plague... how many realtor ads have you seen on FSBO sites? The last thing realtors want is to lend any credence to the FSBO concept.

That is a good idea, Doug. So good, I suggested it about a year ago to Craig's List in an email. I never heard back from them. ;)

That is a good idea, Doug. So good, I suggested it about a year ago to Craig's List in an email. I never heard back from them. ;)

yeah Doug i like that as well. maybe if we all send craigslist an email saying the same thing maybe the will decide to listen. i don't know how hard it will be to add the page to every city but it might work.

I never heard back from them. :huh:
;) Oh well, like I said "assuming they care", apparently they don't.

maybe it will take one than one email. i sure it will. maybe if a few hundred people from different parts of the country send an email, they will know that it must be relevant. the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Michael,

I've yet to use (or need to use) that particular site

to sell any of my properties.

Must be my less-than-crazy market, coupled with my

southern charm. ;)

I've since put my real estate hat back on

and have yet to use it for the reason I mentioned

earlier...and that was to contact those wanting to

sell via a lease purchase.

I know you're working the consulting angle, Michael and

wonder your thoughts on putting some deals together this way.

It would seem that you wouldn't have to convince anyone

to sell with a lease option, as they've already cleared that hurdle

for you.

Like I said, they do charge for a real estate listing.

I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend to

use that site or not.

I did find their web stats on alexa.com, HERE,

so take it for what you may think it's worth.

Michael,

I've yet to use (or need to use) that particular site

to sell any of my properties.

Must be my less-than-crazy market, coupled with my

southern charm. ;)

I've since put my real estate hat back on

and have yet to use it for the reason I mentioned

earlier...and that was to contact those wanting to

sell via a lease purchase.

I know you're working the consulting angle, Michael and

wonder your thoughts on putting some deals together this way.

It would seem that you wouldn't have to convince anyone

to sell with a lease option, as they've already cleared that hurdle

for you.

Like I said, they do charge for a real estate listing.

I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend to

use that site or not.

I did find their web stats on alexa.com, HERE,

so take it for what you may think it's worth.

I have mixed feelings about using this site to find sellers. On the one hand, I googled the email addresses of the sellers on this site (in my area) and their email addresses came up only for this site with regards to real estate. That's good - it means that they're not seriously 'in the business'. On the other hand, the fact that they're listing their property on this site tends to indicate that they probably (perhaps ignorantly) want to handle this themselves. But I haven't tried yet. I'm just 'thinking' out loud.

Ronnie

Another problem I noticed is that the ads I saw all wanted thouands of dollars down. Not much room for a CA or SLO. Although consultation might work.

You know there's a very simple solution (assuming craigslist even cares) all they have to do is create another section called: "For Sale By Owner".

There.. IS DONE! My area now has "Real Estate By Owners" section and "Real Estate By Realtor/Broker" section.

(hope this applies to the entire Craigslist community not just in my area)

Any other requests? :D

BEV!

the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
youre right Bev, i haven't been on the site in awhile. just make a little noise in a democratic society, and you get results. :D

I noticed that brokers are still posting as for sale by owners. They are held to a higher standard and still manage to break rules of the board and the sites they are posting on, still delivering spam.

They are messing up my marketing to FSBO on that site so i decided to take proactive measures. I am sending this message out to brokers that pose as FSBO's: "You are spamming the site and violating the terms of CL and the board of commission, if you post one more listing in the wrong category, i will contact your broker and the commission to get a complaint against you. it is scums like you that are driving away serious prospects by spamming and making the site worthless."

Can't wait to see if it works, and if they don't then i will be forced to complain because i refuse to let a few bad apples mess up a useful tool. They can still post as usual but they aren't following the rules. That is one of the reasons why we have the subprime crisis because of rogue licensed professionsl.

Well thats my vent. :D

It's finally here, it's finally here! It's in my town as well. It was such a relief to see real estate~broker and real estate~by owner the other day. I'm trying to come up with and tweak some ads which stand out in each of the different categories. (making sure i'm targeting the correct people in each category.)

And yes...i'm still forwarding all ads where agents/brokers don't disclose themselves to our Local Association of Realtors! :D

And it has arrived in the south FL market, as well! Hallelujah! It'll be interesting to see just how many Agents accidentally post an ad without noting they are licensed.

There.. IS DONE! My area now has "Real Estate By Owners" section and "Real Estate By Realtor/Broker" section.

(hope this applies to the entire Craigslist community not just in my area)

Any other requests?

I knew it was you BEV! :D when I saw this in my area's CL too!