The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
GetSmart

Tired Landlords are the perfect option for.....

Is anyone looking for ways to contact tired landlords other than Craigslist and mailing Absentee owners? If there is a better way to contact them then I would like to know because we have a buyers list of buyers looking to rent for a few years and buy the home later. The average price they have to put down is $3,800 on a home worth $140,000.

That is why we need landlords looking to sell their houses because of tenant problems or simply wants to receive an income without the hassle of managing their property. There are just so fewer now due to high mortgage payments and little money down. Some of the buyers on our list have $10,000 or more to put down. We need more landlords or owners in Charlotte that need an income from their property to prevent a certain outcome, whether it's listing through a real estate agent or hiring a property manager.

Any suggestions other than absentee owners and Craigslist are welcomed.

Guest Diver

Where I'm at we have the KARHA (Kalamazoo area rental housing assoc. ) a local investment club. Look for the closest one by you. Diver

What's your marketing budget? That is a big factor in what you can do to reach these folks. Online, of course, is free. Craig's List, Backpage, and Kijiji are the big three. I shot out about thirty emails on Tuesday to Craig's List and scored a deal from a homeowner who is moving out of state and is open to a sale, a lease purchase, or a straight rental. Sweet, easy woman who will be handling all the showings.

Sweet, easy woman who will be handling all the showings.
Just what will she been showing considering she's, as you say, "easy"? :)

^_^ Well, I already set up a showing for tomorrow. Let's see just how grateful she is. :P

What's your marketing budget? That is a big factor in what you can do to reach these folks. Online, of course, is free. Craig's List, Backpage, and Kijiji are the big three. I shot out about thirty emails on Tuesday to Craig's List and scored a deal from a homeowner who is moving out of state and is open to a sale, a lease purchase, or a straight rental. Sweet, easy woman who will be handling all the showings.
My budget is $800 per month, will consider more soon as I get a few more deals going. Haven't closed a deal in awhile. Need to jump start my marketing, I get owners calling, but most are short sale candidate or have adjustable mortgages aka possible short sale candidates.

I think i might consider adwords to see what happens.

$800/mo is enough budget to do plenty of effective marketing. The owners who are calling you who are upside down are calling me and probably many others, as well. It's a sign of the times.

I get plenty of calls a month but most are not motivated. Last year or even earlier this year i wasn't getting nearly as many calls but kept the pipe full of deals. Now i get more calls than ever from non motivated sellers with the same message. I beefed up the message and still non motivated sellers.

The crisis is screwing with homeowners minds or something because they are trying to buck the trend. I was waiting for this semi depression and now that its here owners are getting dumber, which is something i didn't count on.

FWIW I'm seeing the same thing. Maybe what we're learning here is that general market conditions don't have anything to do with the motivated buyer and seller market. Last time I was in a market like this I was buying with partner cash/credit. That was like shooting fish. But creative deals still require the parties to have the right mindset no matter how desperate the situation SHOULD make them.

First, free is best. Meaning make use of all the FSBO's and FRBO's that are advertised online. This means Craig's List, Backpage, Kijiji, and some of the other more local sites. You can contact homeowners via email for free and with little expenditure of time. I know you said originally you wanted ideas other than Craig's List, but I'm just telling you what works for me these days.

An alternative to the online sites would be bandit signs. I personally don't use 'em, but I know any number of folks who swear by them. They are cost effective, but you need to be persistent with signs because they have a tendency to disappear within a few days. Code enforcment, kids, weather, etc., all seem to take a toll on them. A few days and they're gone and you need to replace them.