The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Craigslist Scams Just Got Worse

Craigslist SCAMS at its best ever

I know we've heard it all before but in my opinion is always good to share and warn others about the new scams taking place every day... here's what's been happening in my are all this year.

We've all heard about the Nigirian scammers, but that's old school and dumb approach these days compared to what's going on lately in my area (and probably in yours too and you probably aren't aware of it).

The following is a true experience that happened to me (and tons of other people locally) this whole year so far.

- I post my ads on Craigslist with pictures and contact info

- Local scammer steals my ad and changes contact info with his email addy (no ph number)

- I nor the owner of the house are aware of scammers stealing my ad

- Scammer now uses my ad with his info and post on Craigslist, except this time he makes the offer irresistible ( brand new 6bd house rent to own for only $750 per month, no credit check bla bla bla)

- Scammer gets lots of inquiries of course, and makes appointment to show house to several families at one time.

- Scammer has access to the house (vacant house) because they make their own keys to each house.

- They show properties to all the families and collect 1st last and deposit from all families and give each one a key to move in 1st of month.

- Scammer finishes showing house, takes all the money and gets lost.

- The 1st of the month comes by and all the families show up with their uhauls to move in at the same time :wub:

- Owner comes to house and notices all these people upset and wanting to move in.

- Owner freaks out and sadly tells everyone they've been scammed as he has not rented out this property to anybody.

- Owner calls me to see if I know anything about this.

- I FREAK OUT when I hear what happened WOW! :wub:

- Is not a PRETTY PICTURE

This happens almost daily in my area and it's getting very ugly.

How to reduce this from happening to you?

My advice is ...........

- NEVER put a "For Sale" Or "Fore Rent Sign" on the house (specially if is vacant)

- Have a neighbor ALWAYS call you to let you know if a car other than yours shows up to the house.

- Although key lock box will not stop a scammer from breaking into a house and making a key to the house, use it on your vacant properties.

- Last but not least, hire someone (a student) to stay in the house in exchange for them to look after your property.

(this is what a lot of us have been doing for a long time as it seems to be the only way to stop scammers from breaking into empty houses)

Just thought I shared,

BEV!

Scammer has access to the house (vacant house) because they make their own keys to each house.

How do they get the key to these houses?

Scammer has access to the house (vacant house) because they make their own keys to each house.

How do they get the key to these houses?

Lets just say that the "Locksmith" business is booming around these parts these days. :wub:

24_hour_locksmith_leeds.jpg

Since there are so many vacancies (foreclosures) houses here, the scammers are having the time of their lives with them :wub:

BEV!

PS..... CHECK THIS OUT

I've seen several of these ads on kijiji too, not on any of my houses yet thank goodness.

OT, Bev I ran an ad for my blog through the site in your sig and although it has generated quite a few backlinks I haven't got any click-thrus from it.

WOW Bev. Unbelievable.

Well, if this makes you feel any better, you're not the only one having problems, especially ya'll Americans. Ya gotta read this thread posted here in Vancouver, BC. Scary times man! Scams are happen'n everywhere! What's really kinda of sad about this story is that this is an Asian (Chinese) man that doesn't speak English fluently and doesn't know our Tenant / Landlord laws or our Judiciary system.

Read here for all the details on his rental scam:

http://www.realestatetalks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36504

WCG

Interesting thread. Tough times give birth to all sorts of creative ideas.

Anyone interested in a 5BR, 5BA, 5,000sf waterfront home I have for lease? Only $1,500/mo plus deposit! Cash only, please. Such a deal. . .

I've seen several of these ads on kijiji too, not on any of my houses yet thank goodness.
I spotted 1 scam last night on one of my friend's ad who doesn't use Craigslist any more because of this <_<

OT, Bev I ran an ad for my blog through the site in your sig and although it has generated quite a few backlinks I haven't got any click-thrus from it.
Gotta luv them backlinks.. they are priceless.. :wub: I have people that been posting on that board every day for the past 4 months!!

They must be getting something out of it ;)

WCG... thanks for the thread. It is an interesting one indeed. What is this world coming to?

Here are some more tips on this scam issues to be aware of.

Questions from prospect T/B's (impostor) to be careful with:

Q) Is property vacant and ready to move in?

Impostor wants to make sure coast is clear.

Q) When are you available to show the property?

Impostor wants to know which days you won't be available so he/she can make their move on those days

Q) Can I get the address of the property to drive by first?

Need I say more? ( I never ever make this info public online even when the owner wants me to)

Yes, the scammer will call YOU first pretending to be a prospect T/B to get all the information they need before they strike a house.

Do a frequent search of your ad to find out if your ad is being hijacked and scammed on.

Notify the homeowner and webmaster immediately if you find out your property is being scammed on, online.

BEV!

Does Calif. still have the 3 strikes law and is it still enforced?? "Stealing", in its many forms, has been all but de-criminalized in many states as far as serving time in prisons which are too full of violent felons to waste space on these light-weights! Some people just think in criminal ways so, given 2 ways to reach an objective, 1 easy and legal and the other difficult but illegal, the easy and legal way never even occurs to them.

James-Ct