The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
moellerryan

Advice on how to find private money investors

I am an experienced investor with a proven track record. I have done really high end rehabs, new construction, out of state rehabs, rentals, commercial, you name it. I am finding more deals then I can fund right now but do not know many private investors. Everyone seems to be sitting on the sidelines. I am finding deals 50 cents on the dollar with tremendous cashflow. That type of equity and cashflow result in multiple exit strategies, very low risk and ability to make it well worth an investors time. I am seeking 1-3mil to do cashflow REOs and commercial deals. How would you find these investors? By educating investors on what I do, the deals I have done and what I am offering, I know I can build the trust necessary for investors to step to the plate. I basically want to provide them the information they need to make the best informed business decision. I just need to find investors and give them info on my business plan and what I do. How do you recommend finding private investors? Do I mail to my target? Find Self Directed IRA groups? Are their websites that work such as www.findthatmoney.com or www.gobignetwork.com? I know I can find, do and exit deals. My only challenge right now and with most investors is funding deals. I greatly appreciate any help.

-Ryan

Hello, Ryan, and welcome to The Naked Investor!

Ah, yes, the never ending search for private lenders. I, too, have beat the bushes seeking this elusive group. I've tried some mailings with no tangible results. Far be if from me to be giving advice on this, but my suggestion is to hit up people you know. Talking about money with a stranger is a hell of an obstacle to overcome. Face to face with someone who is, at least, somewhat familiar, is a heck of a lot easier.

Here's my first success in this arena. I recently helped a homeowner lease her house out. Did the job in about a week which, down here in south FL, is nothing short of a miracle. Needless to say, she was thrilled with my results and we parted friends. Last week, about three weeks after our business concluded, I emailed her and casually brought up the idea of her possible interest in being a private lender. The idea caught her attention and we exchanged a few emails back and forth. She's out of state right now, but we have a tentative lunch planned when she returns. I'm optimistic.

My point is, I doubt a cold call or letter in the mail would have produced the same results. But because this homeowner had a positive reference point about me, the "can-I-trust-this-guy-with-my-money" question has already been dealt with.

Good luck!