The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Jason (AL)

Who says working a job sucks?

Well, 99.9% of them do.

This one falls into that 0.1%

Check out what I found.

Anyone gonna dust of their resume and put in an application?

I'm in! But I want to know if I can bring along a woman or two? I mean, who's going to make my sandwiches while I'm working on my tan lines?

You should know the grandiose expense involved when traveling with

a woman, especially a trip around the world.

To cut down on expenses, keep your spirits up, and help out some of the locals, I say

opt for a shelia. :lol:

Well, 99.9% of them do.

This one falls into that 0.1%

Check out what I found.

Anyone gonna dust of their resume and put in an application?

Here's an update to that job posting.

ENJOY!

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Three+Bri...0195/story.html

Here's the article just in case the link doesn't work:

Three British Columbians in the running for the ultimate dream job

By Gerry Bellett, Vancouver SunMarch 3, 2009Comments (4)

It’s touted as the best job in the world, being paid $100,000 to be caretaker of a tropical island and living for six months in beachfront luxury off Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.

For once, it sounds like all the hype is justified.

That is why 34,000 people applied, including the Province’s online editor, Erik Rolfsen.

Rolfsen, 39, and two other British Columbians — Anny Chih, who just graduated from Simon Fraser University and tour guide Marcella Moser — were told Monday by the government of Queensland they had made the pool of 50 contestants from which the winner will be chosen.

“It’s exciting getting down to the last 50,” said Rolfsen, who like the other job-seekers had to submit a minute-long video showing why he would make the perfect caretaker.

“Tourism Queensland is going to pick 10 finalists and there will be one person chosen by the public in an online poll. These 11 will be taken to the Whitsunday Islands for the final interview to pick the winner,” Rolfsen said.

The contest is part of a promotion to bring visitors to Queensland in tough economic times, and Rolfsen said for a budget of $1.5 million, Tourism Queensland has netted “$80 million worth of free publicity and it’s not over yet.”

“They got 34,000 people making videos, saying how great the Great Barrier Reef was. It’s a brilliant promotion,” he said.

Rolfsen’s video can be found on the

islandreefjob.com website, along with those of the other finalists. His is as much a tourist promotion for B.C. as a pitch for the job, as he’s shown golfing, skiing and playing on the beach, pastimes Vancouverites like to pretend they often do all in one day.

Seven Canadians reached the final 50, which Rolfsen found astonishing considering the applicants came from more than 200 countries. According to the organizers, the caretaker’s duties will be collecting the mail, feeding the fish and cleaning the pool in the mansion overlooking the ocean, but thankfully no mention of raking the beach each day just to keep the sand tidy.

The caretaker also must blog his or her adventures on and around the Great Barrier Reef. Part of the job description is sampling all the attractions.

Chih, 22, could hardly believe it when she discovered she has a chance.

Her video shows her engaging in just about every activity imaginable, including bungee-jumping, skydiving and ocean kayaking. Last winter, she backpacked alone across Russia. Why?

“That’s part of the challenge,” she said.

When she finished university and her friends asked what job she’d like, she said she wanted one in which she could have fun and try something new every day. They told her such a job didn’t exist.

“Then I read about the best job in the world on the BBC website and I thought, ‘Hmm,’ maybe it does.’”

The next step for the contestants is to write 500-word essays describing themselves, their backgrounds and what is important in their lives.

Organizers will decide by the end of this month which 11 will be chosen to fly to Australia for the final interview.

gbellett@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Did you notice that while there were 34,000 applicants, 3 of them have been chosen from my home turf, VANCOUVER, BC! :D

YUP! We rock! :rolleyes:

Eat your hearts out guys! :P