The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

What kind of online ads are you guys running?

Here's the one I'm trying this morning:

Sell your House in 24 Hours! No Commissions! No Low-Ball Offers!

My name is Doug Pretorius and I buy houses FAST! I'm not your ordinary investor looking to 'make a killing' by offering you less than your property is worth. I pay FULL market value every time.

Why wait for months for a buyer only to pay thousands in commission to an agent? I'm not a realtor, I'm a BUYER, and when I buy your house you don't pay a cent, I'll even cover the closing costs!

I'm looking for attractive homes in nice neighbourhoods, the kind of place parents want to raise their families. Preferably move-in condtion, but a little paint and carpet work is OK too.

Drop me a line if you think you have something that might be a fit. Send me pictures and I can make you an offer right over the internet.

Remember, when you're tired of waiting for a buyer, call Doug because he pays full price in 24 hours or less!

I like it, Doug. Alot. I think that only change I would make is to drop the dreaded "investor" word in this sentence: I'm not your ordinary investor looking to 'make a killing' by offering you less than your property is worth. I would just write: I'm not looking to 'make a killing' by offering you less than your property is worth. And now that I think about it I might also tweak that "make a killing" phrase.

In any event, any advertising is better than none. And since you're going with this online, it's free, so you can afford to fly by the seat of your pants and adjust as you go along.

Good, it got about 60 views and generated 3 replies before dropping down to page 3 or 4 when I deleted it. Then I popped it back up for another city and got another 3 replies. That ad is also currently on page 3 I believe, so time to shift it somewhere else again.

Little update. This ad is working well all over the province, just posted it this morning in Hamilton and out of 10 views I've already got 3 replies! Meanwhile, I'm currently discussing terms with 3 sellers who responded positively to the follow-up email.

Doug, is your ad posted under "Offering" or "Wanted"? I also noticed your Toronto ad seems to have disappeared, search no longer matches "Pretorius".

They're all under "Offering". I'm removing the ads once they drop off the first page which in the smaller cities takes around 10-24 hours, but in Toronto it was gone in about 15 minutes. I don't want to get into trouble with kijiji for posting essentially the same ad in multiple cities, so I'm just updating and rotating through the cities/towns as the ads drop off page 1.

I didn't even realize kijiji had a separate page for wanted ads. Well I guess we'll see if being on the wanted page pulls any additional hits after the ad has dropped off the all-in-one page.

Hmm, so far not so good. In 16 hours the "Wanted" ad has only got 1 reply compared to an "Offering" ad that's got 3 replies in 3 hours.

Hmm, so far not so good. In 16 hours the "Wanted" ad has only got 1 reply compared to an "Offering" ad that's got 3 replies in 3 hours.

I just tried a Wanted ad: 13 views and 0 replies. The same ad in Offering also got 0 replies from a comparable number of views, but it only stayed on the front page 15 minutes at most.

Does anybody know why, if I go to the main page, my ad doesn't show? Apparently others are viewing it, so it isn't being ghosted.

Sometimes mine don't show up for awhile either, and once or twice they haven't appeared at all that I could see, I usually just delete them and repost if I don't see them.