The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
randian

Are backpage and kijiji spammed to near worthlessness too?

Doing my marketing work today, I became appalled at the horrible ratio of owner to agent listings.

Kijiji had only 18 of over 500 listings match a search "by owner".

I went through ~500 listings at backpage and got ~5. Rentals.com was totally worthless.

I got ~10 from Craigslist from ~400 listings, a couple of which I suspect are stealth realtors.

Overall less than 2% of posts seem to be from real owners.

Arrgh! :( :( :glare::blink:^_^ Sorry, just venting.

Yeah, it's pretty bad what the damn Realtors have done to those sites. They have become another extension of MLS. Damn frustrating! :glare:

At least Craig's List has listened to our complaints and now has separate categories for FSBO and Agents. Of course, not every Agent plays by the rules and I still find their listings in the FSBO section. But I flag the hell out of 'em when I find those listings. Not much else we can do, I suppose.

Just bypass those sites, better yet, agents, and cut to the chase.

I've posted this site here before, so not sure if it would be of

any help, but it's strictly houses listed RTO.

No need to go into any spiel, as they're already open to a

lease purchase deal.

Just work your way into the middle and help 'em out.

Lease2Buy.com

You can even post for Homes Wanted.

Hope this helps.

I'll make some time and give those folks a try, Jason. But my suspicion is that if Joe Homeowner is already advertising as a Rent To Own and talking about rent credits and the like, they may have the situation under control and have little need for a guy like me or you.

I'll make some time and give those folks a try, Jason. But my suspicion is that if Joe Homeowner is already advertising as a Rent To Own and talking about rent credits and the like, they may have the situation under control and have little need for a guy like me or you.

I'm sure that plenty of RTO sellers don't really have it under control, they've just heard RTO can save their butts. They're throwing the proverbial spaghetti against the wall in hopes that it will stick. Separating them from the pack is the tricky part.

My concern is if they're advertising RTO chances are they're going to want most or all of the option consideration. There's also a good chance that if your option is non-exclusive, they'll reject everybody you bring them in the hopes that they'll find the buyer (and keep the option money) rather than you. A split of the option money like you were doing with your "hybrid CAs" might work reasonably well.

At least Craig's List has listened to our complaints and now has separate categories for FSBO and Agents.

They haven't separated the FRBO and agent listings, though, and that's what I've been trolling lately.

True.

A few glances at some of the listings may show that the listings are those

of someone experienced.

But perhaps with our charm and real estate savvy, we could partner

up with them.

Who knows?

On the other hand, I've also noticed a lot of amateur, I sure hope this does something

by posting this here-type listings as well.

I know as long as they're not listed with an agent or seem too professional, I'm game.

Also, by posting in the Homes Wanted section, you might be able to get a lead or 3

by doing that.

If by chance, you see someone wanting to lease purchase and they're in your area, why

not contact them. They're specifying how much they can afford down and monthly.

Jason, is it just me or does that site refuse to accept the captcha codes it's posting? I can't respond to any of the ads.

Hmmm...not sure what's up on your end, Doug.

Could be that Canuck luck. :glare:

Have you agreed to General Rules, by clicking right above the captcha field?

Jason, is it just me or does that site refuse to accept the captcha codes it's posting? I can't respond to any of the ads.
How'd you manage to get banned already, Doug? Your reputation is growing. :glare:

At least Craig's List has listened to our complaints and now has separate categories for FSBO and Agents.

They haven't separated the FRBO and agent listings, though, and that's what I've been trolling lately.

They will. Seems they are rolling out this new format city by city. Why not give the powers-that-be over there a nudge?

One of the backpage admins has responded to my request to separate by-owner and by-agent listings in their for-rent and for-sale areas. Interestingly, he mentioned that he has received similar requests for their automotive section. Maybe this will be fixed soon!

Reverse search those addresses and call the owners, kick those realtors where it counts! :glare:

Has contacting owners and convincing them to cancel their listing contracts for a L/O worked for you?

Overall less than 2% of posts seem to be from real owners.

Arrgh! :( :( :glare::blink:^_^ Sorry, just venting.

Those are very GOOD numbers, indeed, compared to my area.

It doesn't make a difference if Craigslist or all the other free places to post, separates the FRBO from the property managements sections or FSBO from the realtors listings.

Most realtors and property managements will always post where they're not suppose to anyway.

I'm yet to see an OWNER's posting on CL or anywhere else online.

If only most Realtors/property managements would use a little professionalism and respect, this would be appreciated greatly and a big help to CL.

Here in California, I've seen ads from Realtors/Prop Mngmt that says....

" I'm renting a house in the foot hills with a view. I need someone to move in ASAP, I'm flexible with rent amount and credit issues.

email me if you're interested to: willStrip4You@yahoo.com (not actual email) or call me at home after 2 pm at 408-555-1212"

From the natural, this ad reads like is from a motivated owner, right?

Wrong! This is a Realtor / Property Management's ad in the FRBO section. There are tons of ads like this from so called professionals. :(

BEV!

From the natural, this ad reads like is from a motivated owner, right?

Wrong! This is a Realtor / Property Management's ad in the FRBO section. There are tons of ads like this from so called professionals. :D

Come on now, that's totally professional! They're professionally enforcing their monopoly by making it as hard as possible for FRBO and FSBO owners to be successful without them.