The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
randian

How are you dealing with this Craigslist problem?

"We've received too many mails from xyz@domain.tld in a short time span.

Sorry, but no messages from xyz@domain.tld will be relayed for 24 hours."

Do you know what the actual "too many" threshold is?

This have never happened to me, nor do I know the number that triggers Craig's List's goons to come looking for you. It seems an easy solution would be to use a second email address and alternate.

More testing says 20 messages is the threshold for Craigslist to stop relaying your messages. There is also some limit on the number of Bcc in a single email (which gets you a "too many recipients" error), but I don't know what it is.

I'm surprised to hear the number might be that low. I have easily sent out more than 20 emails in a short period and have never run into this. Could be a specific moderator if they have something like that set up. Maybe it's using the BCC function in your email. I use my template and just cut and paste one recipient at a time. Really doesn't take long and I do it for only a few minutes per session, as my mood and schedule permits, so it never becomes a task or burden.

I'm surprised to hear the number might be that low. I have easily sent out more than 20 emails in a short period and have never run into this.

I sent out emails, one recipient at a time, to Craigslist ads until I started receiving that error. Sure enough, #21 triggered it. Their low limit on recipients also makes Bcc unusable. Craigslist obviously doesn't want mass email campaigns sent to their advertisers, though I would argue that our small-scale email campaigns aren't really "mass email".

I'm surprised to hear the number might be that low. I have easily sent out more than 20 emails in a short period and have never run into this.

I sent out emails, one recipient at a time, to Craigslist ads until I started receiving that error. Sure enough, #21 triggered it. Their low limit on recipients also makes Bcc unusable. Craigslist obviously doesn't want mass email campaigns sent to their advertisers, though I would argue that our small-scale email campaigns aren't really "mass email".

Interesting that the problem seems so random. Still, it seems an easy workaround is having multiple email addresses.

You guys are probably using your CL's account to do your bulk mailing, right? If so, WHY? :P

CL controls everything you do when you use your CL account to do mailings and postings.

I'd never done bulk emails and I NEVER use CL's account to do my things as I always want to be in control of what I do and not be told what I can or can not do.

I usually send up to 4 emails once in a great while but I personalize "each" one of them (not just with their names) to give it that personal touch and it works like a charm.

I use different approaches frequently in my marketings. (no two emails read the same)

Marketing is like exercising.... If we do the same workout over and over again, we will never see continuous improvements with our body / health. It will eventually stop at some point in the near future.

Is highly recommended to always do different types of exercise, (combine them) to feel and see continuous improvements in our bodies / health :D

Bottom line?

Is about "Quality"..... Not "Quantity".

BEV

Just my opinion (read between the lines). :rolleyes:

You guys are probably using your CL's account to do your bulk mailing, right?

No, I'm not. I cut/paste the email address from the ad and send an email to them.

That sounds absurd!

I suspect that the mssgs you're getting is from your own email server not CL, or is it?

Are you using your own server to send emails or free service (yahoo, hotmail, etc)?

If is the free email svc, then I suspect is an email policy issue.

If is from CL's server, then I'll scream (cuz is absurd) :D

I'm very curious now :rolleyes:

BEV!

You guys are probably using your CL's account to do your bulk mailing, right?

No, I'm not. I cut/paste the email address from the ad and send an email to them.

What do you mean you "cut/paste the email address from the ad and send an email to them"? Don't you just click on the address in the ad? Either the actual email address of the homeowner, or the anonymous version that Craig's List offers? I don't know if this would make a difference but perhaps this is it?

That sounds absurd!

I suspect that the mssgs you're getting is from your own email server not CL, or is it?

Are you using your own server to send emails or free service (yahoo, hotmail, etc)?

If is the free email svc, then I suspect is an email policy issue.

If is from CL's server, then I'll scream (cuz is absurd)

"Too many recipients" is an error from CL's SMTP server, but the message reporting that was generated by my paid email service (www.fastmail.fm). "Too many emails in short time period, we're bouncing all your messages for 24 hours" is a bounce message being generated by CL itself, not FastMail.

What do you mean you "cut/paste the email address from the ad and send an email to them"? Don't you just click on the address in the ad?

No, that would make the browser start up my Mac's email client. I use FastMail's web interface instead, so I right-click on the link and select "Copy Address", then paste it into the To field of the Compose Email page. 95% of the time it's an anonymous remailing address.

"Too many recipients" is an error from CL's SMTP server, but the message reporting that was generated by my paid email service (www.fastmail.fm).
That's what I thought! So, to my understanding, you are using a "paid" email service to do your bulk mails, right? If so, be careful as these "paid" services are very restricted when it comes to bulk mailing... It only takes one bad hair day person to forward your email to your provider (email svc) accusing you of spam.. and there goes your service down the drain... be very careful.. I would use free email services to do bulk email instead, like yahoo, gmail etc...

Have you tried using those free email services to do your bulk email to CL?

If so, did you experience the same problem?

Let me know :(

BEV!

That's what I thought! So, to my understanding, you are using a "paid" email service to do your bulk mails, right?

FastMail is a paid email service, but it's not a bulk email service like MailChimp or Newsberry. I haven't tried Yahoo or Gmail, but as well known SPAM generators surely they would have worse delivery, not better.