The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
jhanson8

Need to vent

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but the frustration is overtaking me! <_<

So far this week, I had meetings scheduled with a potential seller and two potential buyers. All very nice people, all seemingly perfect candidates, and all very serious about a lease-to-own arrangement.

Grrr #1 - The first buyer no-showed for our meeting at the house, even though I had called to confirm an hour earlier. They changed their minds and decided apartment living wasn't so bad. A phone call would have been nice... Now the seller is angry at me because the buyer backed out.

Grrr #2 - The second buyer admits to lying about her finances, and that all the info she gave me was actually her sister's. I tell her, as politely as I can manage, that I will not be working with her anymore. She then gets mad because I don't trust her! WTF?!? Is this Bizaro World?!?

Grrr #4 - This is the doozy... This morning, I meet with a FSBO to view their house and finalize the deal. When I show up, a Realtor is there to "assist" with negotiations. She insists that I provide a copy of all contracts for her to review and that she'll get back to me sometime later this week. I politely refuse. She then insists that she is representing the sellers and I must start our negotiations over with her. I tell her that my contract is not with her, in fact she has a blatant conflict of interest, so I will not be negotiating with her. She then tells the sellers that what I'm doing is a scam. I calmly refute this, and I find out that the Realtor has agreed to list their house for $50k more than our agreement. I try to explain that it is she who is scamming the sellers by offering an inflated price in order to get a listing, knowing the price will have to be reduced. The sellers decide this whole thing is confusing and that they are more comfortable selling the traditional way. I tell them I'm sorry to hear that, but they know how to reach me if they change their minds. The Realtor follows me out to my car and tells me that she will be reporting me to the CAR and the DRE. I politely tell her to go jump in a lake since I'm not a Realtor, nor a licensed agent.

So far, I've had serious talks with dozens of buyers and sellers with no luck. I have contracts with two sellers, but my buyers keep flaking. I'm getting supremely frustrated and really doubting my abilities. Is it this hard for everyone? Please tell me my horror stories are not unique!

Been there, done that, my friend. And I dare say you and I and every one of us in this biz will be there again.

Grrr #1 - The first buyer no-showed for our meeting at the house, even though I had called to confirm an hour earlier. They changed their minds and decided apartment living wasn't so bad. A phone call would have been nice... Now the seller is angry at me because the buyer backed out.
No shows are the bane of our business. And while we can do things to reduce their occurence, there is no way to eliminate these dopes entirely. I recall a house I was working a CA on back in NM. The property was in the mountains, about a 45 minute drive for me. I called to confirm with the prospective t/b's. They assured me they were on their way and so I left. Well, they never showed and never called. I wanted to get in their face but they never again picked up the phone, so I was SOL. Stopped off at the taco stand on the way home. All was fine after that. <_<

Grrr #2 - The second buyer admits to lying about her finances, and that all the info she gave me was actually her sister's. I tell her, as politely as I can manage, that I will not be working with her anymore. She then gets mad because I don't trust her! WTF?!? Is this Bizaro World?!?
Hehe. Bizaro World, indeed. Remember: Buyers are liars, Sellers are story tellers. That's been my mantra for a decade.

Grrr #4 - This is the doozy... This morning, I meet with a FSBO to view their house and finalize the deal. When I show up, a Realtor is there to "assist" with negotiations. She insists that I provide a copy of all contracts for her to review and that she'll get back to me sometime later this week. I politely refuse. She then insists that she is representing the sellers and I must start our negotiations over with her. I tell her that my contract is not with her, in fact she has a blatant conflict of interest, so I will not be negotiating with her. She then tells the sellers that what I'm doing is a scam. I calmly refute this, and I find out that the Realtor has agreed to list their house for $50k more than our agreement. I try to explain that it is she who is scamming the sellers by offering an inflated price in order to get a listing, knowing the price will have to be reduced. The sellers decide this whole thing is confusing and that they are more comfortable selling the traditional way. I tell them I'm sorry to hear that, but they know how to reach me if they change their minds. The Realtor follows me out to my car and tells me that she will be reporting me to the CAR and the DRE. I politely tell her to go jump in a lake since I'm not a Realtor, nor a licensed agent.
I've had this stunt pulled on my a few times over the years. Out of the blue, a Realtor "friend" shows up and makes his presence known. Under the guise of protecting his friend, he scuttles the deal on the spot. Of course, we know the only interest the Realtor is protecting is his own, but the gullible homeowner follows along. As you noted, this show was all about getting a listing, then playing the "we need to lower the price" game. Not much else you could have done. You handled it well.

So if it makes you feel any better, you are not alone with these scenarios. Happens to all of us. And it's nothing you did or said, or didn't do or didn't say. When you are speaking with numerous people on a weekly basis you are going to meet all kinds and types. You've just had an overdose of kooks early on. This only means you're due for some good things to come rolling your way. :lol:

So if it makes you feel any better, you are not alone with these scenarios. Happens to all of us. And it's nothing you did or said, or didn't do or didn't say. When you are speaking with numerous people on a weekly basis you are going to meet all kinds and types. You've just had an overdose of kooks early on. This only means you're due for some good things to come rolling your way. <_<

Thanks, I needed to hear that. Lately I've been ravaged by doubt and fear, which normally doesn't affect me this much. I suppose it was just the giant wave of FAIL lately. See http://failbox.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/untitled-2.jpg

Guest Diver

If I had a dollar for everyone one of these buyers and sellers I'd be rich. OH yeh and 2 bucks for idiot Realtors. Diver