The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
jhanson8

About market cycles...

So, the prevailing wisdom is that the real estate market really slows down over the fall and winter. Is the same true for the investment market, primarily CA's and SLO's? Since I really only got started in April, I want to know what to expect in the coming months. My instinct tells me that when the traditional market slows down, things really pick up for investors.

What, if anything, should I anticipate? Is there any reason to change my marketing strategies or how I interact with sellers?

I think it is different in different areas. In my micro area, I am slammed in the spring & fall and slower in the dog days of summer and winter holiday months.

In the slower months I see more properties available too, so I figure the sellers out there are finding it more difficult to move their houses and are more motivated. So like this summer, I cranked up the marketing to focus on building a fall inventory that will also carry me through the slower winter months. And then I repeat at spring to also carry me through the slower summer months. This has been my trend for the last few years.

But having said that a good deal is a good deal and will easily move at anytime of the year with a SLO or CA. And when in the slower months it's time to vacation lol.

A slow market with a lack of buyers always benefits anyone who is buying, be it a first time buyer or an investor. Homeowners become anxious and deals can be made. But as far as it being a seasonal thing, I think that will vary from region to region. Here in south FL, the winter slowdown phenomenon doesn't occur. In fact, we'll see many out of town buyers and investors head this way. When it's minus 31 in Fargo, and Miami is 82, buying a condo seems like a good idea.