The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
jcjohnson7

How to handle signatures?

I am meeting a seller tomorrow to complete the agreements for a CA and if his wife is not able to make it in town to meet me, how can I handle the signatures? In TN I have to get the signatures of him and his wife in order for the deal to be legally binding since the house is owned by both of them. Can I let him take the documents home, let her sign, then he fax them back to me? I won't have the original hard copies if that is the case and she may not sign. Same thing if we do it by e-mail. I would like to have an original hard copy with all signatures but was just wondering if a faxed copy would be legally binding as well? How do you guys handle the paperwork with out of town owners?

Josh

Guest jvmccall

F-A-X

Don't worry too much about having the original documents. Faxes are fine.

A fax will work fine. My contracts also allow for signing at different times by all parties. They all include the following clause: "EXECUTION IN COUNTERPARTS: This agreement may be executed in counterparts and by facsimile signatures. This agreement shall become effective as of the date of the last signature." This was something my attorney had me add once I began doing deals outside my "own backyard."

Hope this helps.

regards,

Bill

As has been said, a fax is a legally binding document. Get that first and if you want you can then send the docs via mail to all parties and have them returned so you have the hard copies.