The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Dress and Grooming

I've noticed on realtor forums there seems to be a never-ending debate about 2 things: What to wear. And What to drive. I think we need at least one of those threads ourselves, so here goes! :)

Does the way you dress effect the deals you do?

In my experience. YES.

I've worn everything from a suit, to flip flops and a secondhand store $1 t-shirt to meet with both buyers and sellers. And what have I found? I do waaaaay better by dressing down. My personal favorite for the winter is a work jacket that I got for free. It's got paint splatters and torn pockets and generally looks like total crap LOL! But I swear that jacket has sold more houses than my website.

Since winter has arrived once again I thought I'd give this theory another test. Went to meet with a few sellers with a really nice business look, freshly shaved before the appointment etc. And what happened? The seller's were reserved in their negotiations, and repeatedly questioned my experience.

Next, I showed up to a few more appointments looking like I shop for my wardrobe at the army surplus store. 2 day old beard. I didn't wear a baseball cap but I probably should have :lol: And the result? Not a single question about how many deals I've done.

Dare I say they look at me and think: "This guy must be legit, look at him! He's certainly not trying to impress me!"

LOL well that's my little real estate insight for the day :lol: What have you guys noticed in your travels?

Gold Jackets and the Gold Mercedes Benz is OLD SCHOOL.

I am like you. T-shirt, shorts and flops or maybe pants if so inclined.

The way I look at it is they are in quick sand and I have the rope.

They don't care what I look like as long as they get the rope.

I've noticed on realtor forums there seems to be a never-ending debate about 2 things: What to wear. And What to drive.

Is there any rule that realtors have to wear overpowering perfume or cologne? That's my biggest complaint. Does Al Gore know how much these people are contributing to air pollution?

But, staying on topic here, I've found the business casual look to be the best. Simple khakis or (clean) jeans with a polo and nice shoes. I started out doing the shirt & tie thing and besides being uncomfortable the whole time it didn't get any deals. Like Doug said, I got more questions and skepticism when I dressed nicer. I still don't have the courage to dress way down to meet someone, but maybe when I'm further along and have more deals under my belt.

I've never "dressed up" when meeting with someone. Never had to and never felt the need to. It's not my style.

I'll wear my normal, everyday clothes (nice jeans or khakis...polo shirt w/a collar...or a T-shirt...Nike's...or casual shoes).

Besides, if I were to wear a tie in rural Alabama, they would think something (being too "salesy").

Not to mention, they'd think I was more wealthy than I actually was and would nix my creative buying strategy

and would want an all cash sale. :lol:

.....for full price. :)

khakis? polos? You guys are like high society :)

I known a guy who's a real estate investor and antiques dealer and I've wondered for a long time why he's always out in an army jacket looking like he lost his razor, when he carries $8-$10k on him in cash to nab antiques when he sees them. Now I know! People give him the benefit of the doubt and cut him a deal because of the way he presents himself.

khakis? polos? You guys are like high society :)

I known a guy who's a real estate investor and antiques dealer and I've wondered for a long time why he's always out in an army jacket looking like he lost his razor, when he carries $8-$10k on him in cash to nab antiques when he sees them. Now I know! People give him the benefit of the doubt and cut him a deal because of the way he presents himself.

Nah, not the high society-type polos.

Just something casual. At times, I have

that "5 o'clock shadow" myself. Shaving is

only done to keep the wife from complaining.

This seems like a set-up for MC's Speedo. . . :lol:

I heard his new approach is showing up with a thong and wife beater. :lol:

Sorry I'm late to this thread. But I had Mrs. C making my dinner and then I was due my Friday pedicure. . . :)

Despite my Italian heritage and a grandpa from the old country who was a tailor, I definitely go with the casual look. It's south FL, boys. It's December and last week we hit 87 degrees. That means shorts and sandals for me. I've never detected bad vibes as a result. In fact, quite the opposite. Women see my legs and the deal gets done. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. B)

I've noticed on realtor forums there seems to be a never-ending debate about 2 things: What to wear. And What to drive. I think we need at least one of those threads ourselves, so here goes! :)

Does the way you dress effect the deals you do?

In my experience. YES.

I've worn everything from a suit, to flip flops and a secondhand store $1 t-shirt to meet with both buyers and sellers. And what have I found? I do waaaaay better by dressing down. My personal favorite for the winter is a work jacket that I got for free. It's got paint splatters and torn pockets and generally looks like total crap LOL! But I swear that jacket has sold more houses than my website.

Since winter has arrived once again I thought I'd give this theory another test. Went to meet with a few sellers with a really nice business look, freshly shaved before the appointment etc. And what happened? The seller's were reserved in their negotiations, and repeatedly questioned my experience.

Next, I showed up to a few more appointments looking like I shop for my wardrobe at the army surplus store. 2 day old beard. I didn't wear a baseball cap but I probably should have :lol: And the result? Not a single question about how many deals I've done.

Dare I say they look at me and think: "This guy must be legit, look at him! He's certainly not trying to impress me!"

LOL well that's my little real estate insight for the day :lol: What have you guys noticed in your travels?

Well, there's my whole problem then. No wonder I haven't closed a deal. I need to have my butler stop doing all the cold calls off CL, leave the Aston Martin V8 Vantage at home, and trade in the custom Brioni suits with Ferragamo lace ups for Dockers and Hush Puppies. What would I do without you guys? Here's to a big 2010