The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
timmym22

Showing Vacant Homes???

Hey everyone,

I live about 45 mins outside the main city where I do business. I have several properties going at one time. It is very difficult to show the properties and continue to do business at home getting new properties, etc. What are some ways to show the properties without wasting time? All of my homes are vacant.

Here are my ideas; please share yours:

1. hire someone to show properties for me (difficult to find trustworthy and dependable person)

2. lock box (how do you avoid problems with people having access to your home)

I know screening the tenant buyer is very important. However, by the time I drive to one property, then drive to another the same day, most of my day is gone, which takes away time from me calling sellers about their homes.

Thanks for your input.

Timmy, I think you've answered your own question. Seems to me there are three choices: you show the property, you hire someone to show the property, or you install a lock box. Each has its pros and cons, as you have already stated. Decide which works best and go with it.

One other thing: prioritize your activities. Meaning, if you are using your time showing properties to prospective t/b's, be thankful. That's your payday. Marketing for additional properties is good, but not at the expense of losing a deal on a property you already have in inventory.

If you go the lock box route, what can you do to protect yourself? Is there anything? Do you get a copy of their drivers license before you give them the code? Have them sign in when they get there?

Giving someone access to a vacant property always carries a certain amount of risk. You have to decide if that risk is in your comfort zone. Getting a drivers license, having them sign in, etc, are no guarantees they aren't thieves or vandals.