The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
vballdarin

Anyone build a website using an iMac?

Hey yall......

First of all, let me explain my dilemma. I built my website using homestead.com while I had a Dell PC. My Dell then totally crashed so I decided to upgrade to an iMac.

When I went back onto homestead.com to update my website, it's not compatible with Apple&iMac. I can't access pages that I created and can't edit very well.

Has anyone out there run into this problem PC versus iMac?

I've been looking into getting iWeb which is contained in iLife but many people have mentioned that iWeb is a very simple way to make a website if you just need a static site and it's not great for an e-commerece site where people need to fill in fields to give you their information.

Any suggestions from all you Tech people out there would be greatly appreciated.

Darin

Hey Darin,

I've never owned an iMac...always a PC (laptop, to be exact).

I've built sites using WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) templates, such as ebizwebpages.com.

This is what I used when I built my real estate site.

However, there are limitations using pre-made templates. Not to mention, they're more expensive per month. So, I started using

Wordpress.org, with HostGator for hosting. You can create TONS of different websites, seeing

there is an unlimited number of themes available. Be sure you use the .org and not the .com.

Even though Wordpress is mainly known for blogs, it can be used for any type of static web site you want.

Not only do you have tons of themes, but you can download Plug Ins. This is for things such as contact forms and

any other widget you'll need.

This is what I am currently using to build sites, and I love it.

Although, I'm not sure about the compatibility issues (if any) when using it with an iMac.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks Jason.

I also just got off the phone with my sister who knows way more than I do.

***And this may be a help to all (with all due respect to MC) "techie challenged" people out there :) ***

She uses a great website to learn just about anything: www.lynda.com! In their own words...."Learn the latest tools and techniques with access to 746 online courses and counting! Get unbiased, clear, and comprehensive training in 3D, audio, video, photography, graphic design, web and interactive design, business, and development from expert instructors, 24/7."

I believe there is a charge to the site of $24/month but if you're really into that stuff, it could be helpful. (I'm going to mooch off my sister's account) :wacko:

Darin

. . .***And this may be a help to all (with all due respect to MC) "techie challenged" people out there :) ***. . .

Hey! Was that a shot at me?? :wacko:

Well deserved, I might add.

Sure seemed like it, LOL

I agree with Jason, go with some pre-built framework and it will work with every system and browser. Wordpress is good and fairly easy. It will take you a few days to get the hang off the interface, but after that, it manages and organizes everything for you.

Hey there MC....

I'm just saying that you and I usually stick to the tried and true ways of marketing. And that you have stated in the past that you don't get into all that techie stuff like Google voicemail texting, etc.

No disrespect intended. I apologize if it came off as an insult. I just know that you usually poke fun at yourself when it comes to techie stuff.

Darin

C'mon, Darin. You know me better than that. No offense taken, believe me. All in good fun. Just remember. . .paybacks are a bitch! :angry: