The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Inherited Land Question

I've been so stressed out these past months over these lands.

I'd like to know from any of you out there if when you inherit land (overseas), do you need to physically go to the land and take over the title or can this be done over fax..

I've found out I have inherited yet another land overseas and I'm being bugged to fly over there to take title or whatever needs to be done to take ownership (lands are all paid for free and clear) but the only problem is that I DON'T FLY :ninja: and these lands have been sitting there for yrs.

I will ask them if we can do everything online/fax but wanted to know first if anybody here can advice other options in case I'm told that I can not do it over the fax and HECK I won't fly either and there are no choo choo trains going there either. help!!!! .AAAUUUUGGGGHHHH :wacko:

Thanks,

BEV!

Far be if for me to give you advice on foreign affairs...seeing I'm your basic, southern, white

gentleman from the Heart of Dixie...but, I would think that you should be able to handle binding

agreements and contracts much like you do here in the states. Meaning, you have the ability

to handle things virtually (phone/fax/email).

If not, have Mr. John Jackson swing by your motherland, and bring it to you.

I'm not sure what he'd charge for this though. :wacko:

Maybe Michael can chime in, seeing his "family" owns 30% of Italy.

At least, that's the word on the street. :ninja:

Another relative from Beserkistan bit the dust, eh Bev? My condolences.

I can't imagine your presence would be required locally. These days, fax and or courier will suffice to handle the paperwork. But if for some reason, the motherland from whence you came insists on your presence, I will go in your stead. Usual fees apply, my dear. Meaning another tattoo of me, on you. But this time I'll let you choose where. What a guy. . .

Maybe Michael can chime in, seeing his "family" owns 30% of Italy.

At least, that's the word on the street. :ninja:

Tru dat. But the majority of our holdings are concentrated in Sicily. The motherland has been very, very good to us.

This really depends on where the land is situated. In Mexico, for example, foreign owners must physically defend the land against squatters or the squatters can claim the land for themselves, and the courts are very pro-squatter. Another frequent claim in Mexico is the "missing heir" gambit, and again courts are very unpredictable (read: corrupt) where the current owner is a foreigner. If the land has been sitting for years, I would retain a local lawyer as soon as possible.

Thanks for the valuable information guys.

This particular land is in Costa Rica and I did a Live Cam to Cam chat with my Auntie from Costa Rica last night to learn as much as possible about how things work over yonder regarding my situation... so far, she will be taking pictures of the land to send them to me with its dimension.

She also said she will be faxing me the deed pronto along with all the paperwork.

Oh, and she said she will hire an attorney to help me and see if we can do this without me having to physically be there. Let's see what the laws says over yonder first, if all else fails, I'll have one of you fly over yonder for me on my behalf :ninja: (wishful thinking)

BEV!