The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
profyt7

SAFE Act Impact on Lease Option Business

Hi Guys,

I am new to Lease Optioning and glad I found this site. There is so much info on here I don't know where to begin. I was wondering if the SAFE act is going to prevent us from doing Lease Options in the future?

Hello, profyt7, and welcome to The Naked Investor.

Regarding the SAFE Act, for those who are interested in reading about it, here is some info from HUD: SAFE Act.

I'm neither an attorney nor an expert, that said, here is my two cents: a lease purchase agreement has nothing to do with the SAFE Act unless you are offering seller financing to the t/b should the t/b exercise their option to purchase.

If the t/b obtains their own financing from a third party lender, then it shouldn't fall under the jurisdiction of this law.

It looks like we are clear with L/O, but for RE investors in general seeking or offering owner financed deals sure seems like this is a large blow for the RE investor market.

Hi MichaelC and Steve,

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. That clears things up for me a bit. It seems to have a bunch of people worried.

Hi fellow investors,

I wanted to add this email I received today from eddie speed a well know Note investor regarding the safe act.

I copied and pasted this so maybe it will help calm our fears a bit about the safe act:

Here is the email:

Furthermore, there's good news about the SAFE Act, I will discuss with you: Many wrongly assume that the SAFE Act prohibits all transactions involving seller financing. In fact, there is a lucrative market awaiting you.

Individual, owner-occupied property sellers are exempt from the SAFE Act. They and their realtors are increasingly attracted to seller financing as thesolution to the conventional lending crisis.

That's good to hear. My concern would be also, if say, someone wanted to sell an investment property (not their primary residence) with owner financing. As a way around it, I guess a person could have a licensed mortgage broker draw up the mortgage paper work for a fee.

I also read where "Habitat for Humanity" offers their own 0% or low interest mortgages to help the new home owners and would no longer be able to do this.

I think there is still a lot that will need to be worked out as this goes into effect. Hopefully.

I agree with Equity Notes as I have read and listed to Eddie also. It seems as though investors wanting to seller finance properties either have to be licensed to do so or work with a mortgage broker. Thats a big blow to that exit strategy. Another issue I have is that my 2 M brokers I work with don't know anything about it. Herbster