The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
EQUITY NOTES

Tenant Buyers

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advise on how to gather up some tenant buyers by advertising on some sites

I do not want to have a problem with any realty companies (iam not a realtor) so need to stay in a safe compliance when running ads to draw in tenant buyers

Thanks in advance for any advise

Tom

Most homeowners/landlords use the variety of free online sites, the biggest being Craig's List. Also try backpage.com and to a lesser extent, kijiji.com.

And do a search for any local sites that allow you to list your rental.

Thanks Michael,

I guess what I was asking was:

If I run ads looking to build up a tenant buyer list will I have a problem with realtors as I do not have a property under control at this time.

Thanks

Tom

Of course not, Tom. Run your ad for a typical, bread and butter variety house in your area. When you receive replies, tell them the house is already taken, then ask what they're looking for, get the details, and tell them you'll contact them when you have something that fits their preferences. Add 'em to your database and get to work finding a matching property.

Thanks Michael,

I guess what I was asking was:

If I run ads looking to build up a tenant buyer list will I have a problem with realtors as I do not have a property under control at this time.

Thanks

Tom

I think that depends whats on the ad. If too many of them see your marketing as in direct competition with their efforts to get buyers then it could be a problem but many realtors in my exp don't even bother with CL. I am one myself. Definately do not market homes you haven't any equitable interest in. Also make sure that if you are going to market your services to do CA's that you are careful not to say you can help sell people's homes. Michael stresses this very much as well in his manual. If you are doing CA's you are marketing and selling your option to a T/B... not some else's house.

IF you stick by this you shouldn't have any reason to make enemies in the real estate community.

realtors in my exp don't even bother with CL

I'm surprised, because realtors are heavily spamming CL's FSBO classifieds. It really kills the utility of the FSBO boards because the by-agent/by-owner split of CL's real estate sections was supposed to eliminate this problem. I'd estimate a good 95% or more of the listings are realtor ads in disguise. By "in disguise", I mean illegally failing to disclose that the ad was made by a licensee, not that any substantive action would be taken were you to report it.

Well my observation has been, and maybe different geographic areas are different, that although you do see a lot of Realtor Ads and that they spam the FSBO's; you also come to find that its always the same handful of Realtors doing it. Considering how many there are and how many listings we have in my area the one's that end up using CL as an advertising medium is an extremely small slice of the Pie.

I use it because one its free, two it works well. If I have a listing, and consistently post craigslist I almost always get one potential buyer through the course of it. But it never ceases to amaze me to see the dinosaurs working in my market who squint funny when you say Craigslist, and have never heard of Backpage.

If you are an agent on here please take no offense but the technology wave is where all the buyers are these days.

I'm a little guilty myself and feel this URGENT SENSE OF NEED to learn the latest web based marketing so I can move my CA's faster.

If I have a listing, and consistently post craigslist I almost always get one potential buyer through the course of it. But it never ceases to amaze me to see the dinosaurs working in my market who squint funny when you say Craigslist, and have never heard of Backpage.

If you are an agent on here please take no offense but the technology wave is where all the buyers are these days.

I was an agent for 20 years and I'm not offended at all. Most every agent in my office was clueless when it came to technology. Even when I left the agency, just a couple of years ago, some were still only running classified print ads and telling sellers that open houses were a great tool for getting their property sold. Some even thought that the internet was a fad or The Devil. ^_^

This ignorance is great for me because when the listings expire (and they will) I can be there to pick up the pieces and actually produce results.

At the moment; I use craigslist exclusively and my phone is always ringing with good leads. ...never had an ongoing issue with an agent. ...hope I'm still on topic, but yeah, what MC and UORE said.

Also, I don't care if I accidentally email an agent from craigslist. If they have an attitude (most don't) about me replying to their ad that's posted in FSBO, I let them know that if they contact me again; I'm going to report them to their broker and board for non-disclosure and false advertising. They then hang up and I never hear from them again. On the other hand, I have closed deals and made good contacts by "accidentally" contacting agents.

X Agent

Dino

realtors in my exp don't even bother with CL

I'm surprised, because realtors are heavily spamming CL's FSBO classifieds. It really kills the utility of the FSBO boards because the by-agent/by-owner split of CL's real estate sections was supposed to eliminate this problem. I'd estimate a good 95% or more of the listings are realtor ads in disguise. By "in disguise", I mean illegally failing to disclose that the ad was made by a licensee, not that any substantive action would be taken were you to report it.

I concur wholeheatedly. My local Craig's List FSBO section is overrun with Agents. Burns me to no end. ^_^ While I don't bother to report them to the local Realtors Association, I do make a point of flagging the ad to Craig's List. What happens after that, is not anything I follow up on. If nothing else I feel I am doing my duty in some odd way.

One more thing. . .if an Agent ever gave me crap for replying to their ad and suggesting a lease purchase, and said ad was in the FSBO section, I pity the fool, (said in my best Mr. T mode). ;)

While I don't bother to report them to the local Realtors Association, I do make a point of flagging the ad to Craig's List.

I don't report them either, don't have to. Once I mention disclosure, they seem to go away. Mind you, I'm only talking about the idiot agents that actually call me as if they are the real estate police. I couldn't care less about the ones that aren't calling me with foolishness. And I completely ignore any arrogant email. I don't flag because I post 'We Buy Houses' ads in FSBO. The agents 'round here don't flag me and I don't flag them. Can't we all just get along? I'm only annoyed with the very few, self-important agents that have the nerve to pick up the phone and dial my number.

MC and UORE, I'll stick to your advice when it comes to advertising for tenant/buyers. I'm glad we don't have many problem, internet savvy, spammy agents in my area.

X Agent

Dino

I replied to an ad on my local kijiji that made no mention of being an agent. In her reply she STILL didn't say she was an agent, instead she wanted to set up a meeting for the usual "discuss financing options" :) When I suggested that she disclose that she's an agent in her ads she sent a snotty reply about how she's been selling real estate for 21 years LOL! I ALMOST replied back: "Well then you should know the law." But I bit my fingers. Arguing with a moron is so not worth it.

I ALMOST replied back: "Well then you should know the law." But I bit my fingers. Arguing with a moron is so not worth it.

True, but sometimes it's just plain fun :)