The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
efete1

expired listings

Hi all

I hope everyone is doing well! I was wondering if there was any way to get expired listings other than from the MLS. I am not a realtor and the ones I know haven't been able or willing to help out. I will renew my efforts there and didn't think there was another way but am open to suggestions.

On the same topic, has anyone been successful sending postcards or other diret mail to FSBO's or listed properties with a lease purchase type of message? I know John Jackson does this but I don't have a good template to use and have thus far avoided listed houses for the same reason MC does. Anyone willing to share some messages or ideas on this?

Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of summer!

Eric

Eric,

I have a gentleman's agreement with a local Realtor. She sends me the list of MLS expireds each week, and anything I can not work with, I send to her. Thus far, she's sold one property I sent to her, and she's trying to list a couple others. It takes her about 5 minutes each Friday to send me the list. You may try that with an agent.

I edited MC's LPA letter to fit on a postcard, and that's what I've been mailing.

Lynn (FL)

Eric, I think it is simply a matter of finding a willing Agent. You'll probably have better luck finding a newer, hungrier Realtor. Someone who, like you, is trying to network and understands the advantages for both of you in doing so. Ask some 20 year vet and they're going to blow you off.

As for direct mailing homeowners, whenever I see a FSBO sign or, for that matter, a Realtor sign on a property, I will send the homeowner my Intro Letter. The response is fairly consistent. For the cost of a letter I have received many deals over the years. You should have a copy of that letter in your files, Eric. If not, email me and I'll get it to you.

I think expired or listed homes with a realtor sign are a good idea on sending the introduction letter.

Do you mail it to "resident"? ( as you dont know the sellers name)

If that works its a lot less bother and all you need is an envelope and stamp

Just wondering how you guys do it, as Michael states he does this and over the years it has produced a few deals.

Thanks

Tom

I think expired or listed homes with a realtor sign are a good idea on sending the introduction letter.

Do you mail it to "resident"? ( as you dont know the sellers name)

If that works its a lot less bother and all you need is an envelope and stamp

Just wondering how you guys do it, as Michael states he does this and over the years it has produced a few deals.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

When my Realtor sends me the list of expireds for the week, there's a link for each property to the online county records. There, I find out the owners name and address. I take that information and enter it into a spreadsheet. That way, I can do a mail merge into either my postcard or letter.

Lynn (FL)

Tom, like Lynn said, I go to the county website and personalize the letter and the envelope with the homeowner's names whenever possible.

Hi all

I hope everyone is doing well! I was wondering if there was any way to get expired listings other than from the MLS. I am not a realtor and the ones I know haven't been able or willing to help out. I will renew my efforts there and didn't think there was another way but am open to suggestions.

On the same topic, has anyone been successful sending postcards or other diret mail to FSBO's or listed properties with a lease purchase type of message? I know John Jackson does this but I don't have a good template to use and have thus far avoided listed houses for the same reason MC does. Anyone willing to share some messages or ideas on this?

Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of summer!

Eric

Mr. Realtor,

How would you like an extra 10-50 listings per year?

REALTOR: YOU BET!

YOU:

I know you are too lazy sitting on your but waiting for the Listing GOD's to come into your office. How about you get off your lazy but and give me a list of your expired listings. The ones that I cannot do a deal with, I will get them for you and all you have to do is GIVE ME THE LIST!

REALTOR: SURE

YOU:

GREAT... now put down that donut and send me over your files right now.

REALTOR:

How do I know you are going to do what you say you are going to do?

YOU:

Well unlike you. I don't have a fancy office fancy title and free donuts being delivered by the title company. What I do know is that I have to eat. You have the leads and you can HELP me to HELP you at the same time. If you are not busy and would like to sweat a little, how about coming out with me tomorrow and I will show you how it is done. But please don't bring the donuts.

REALTOR:

Sounds like a plan.

So here is what you are going to do. Take the list and import them into a mapping software of something like Microsoft Streets and Trips. Optimized all addresses and get a starting and ending point.

If you have 20 expired listings. Take a Yellow pad with you and write the following message.

Dan,

Please give me a call about your house. I have some important to tell you about what has happened.

Eric

123-456-7890

Now some are going to be home. So you better have an idea what to say. Some are not going to be home and will call you when you leave a message.

If they are home you could say something like this.

Hi my name is Eric. I was doing some research and I see that your home was just recently an expired listing. Now when you say this. Step Back. Tell them that you are not a real estate agent and you are not there looking for a listing. Just state that you are just curious about why their home did not sell. Let them tell you the pain they had with the real estate company that they had. At this time if your agent is with you. He or she will probably wondering about how they can leave and get that donut.

Remember that you are the expert. If you have some type of credibility kit bring it. If not then show them what is going on in your market place with statistics from zillow or trulia or have that Donut expert pull you a color map of current foreclosures.

These are just ideas.

The idea is that just like foreclosures. Expired listings are getting all kinds of mail. I do mail to them and am also starting a new mailing campagin. But I can tell you what has always worked is DOOR KNOCKING!

Great info, Jon, and funny, too. :huh: I had no idea that Realtors were such Krispy Kreme junkies. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Great info, Jon, and funny, too. :huh: I had no idea that Realtors were such Krispy Kreme junkies. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan probably speaks closer to the truth than we want to admit.

Lynn (FL)