The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
<Steve>

Bed Bugs!

Bed Bugs! Yuck!

Seems they are taking over. And for those landlords out there I can hear the tenants calling due to the house being infested. It is no easy treatment to get rid of them either. Multiple treatments and everything in the house have to be taken apart to find those griders. Not to mention getting under carpet etc. It's expensive as well.

Lucky me I have a bunch of SLOs. No calls yet, but I am getting prepared. My take is that it is not the property's or landlord's fault that a house gets infested. Bed bugs are brought in by the tenant/buyer or their guest, and that is how I am going to look at this. I am going to let the tenant/buyer call and pay for any required extermination.

Rent-To-Own! Rent Credits! Bed Bug Free!

Bed bugs do seem to be in the news with some frequency lately. I can't help but wonder how much of this is the media running with a story to sell newspapers. On the other hand, if it is a growing problem, we can avoid the hassle and expense of an exterminator by having the t/b sign a waiver that they have inspected the property and it is vermin and bedbug free. Thereafter, if they become a problem, the burden rests with the t/b.

True MC, there is already a clause in the agreements about the property being in satisfactory condition and a sentence about being bug free would be a good addition.

The bed bugs are coming and are here in my area. At this point it is friends that have them in their houses. Seems apartments and multi-families are getting hit the hardest. Associations are flipping some of the bill. It is a real problem. You have to take furniture apart and beds to find these pests. They love bed springs. And you have to throw out stuff and professionally spray everything. It seems exterminators only guarantee to be bug free for 1 week and then may need to come back. Home improvement store sprays don't work as these bed bugs are immune. They are getting into hotels as reported, movie theaters, clothing stores, restaurants seats, air planes, lap top computers etc... Just one female attached to your clothing or shoe can spread hundreds of eggs. Great for business if you are an exterminator. The thing is many people that get them are embarrassed about it and don't talk about it.

My wife is now requiring me to strip down in the garage before coming in the house. :o Extreme sounding yes. It seems running clothes through a high temp dryer kills them. I get an interesting look walking in saying "I'm home." B):wub: It's going to be a cold winter. :D

I know this is a silly post but something to think about as it escalates.

. . .My wife is now requiring me to strip down in the garage before coming in the house. B)

I've been doin' that for years, Steve, and it has nothing to do with bed bugs. :D

. . .My wife is now requiring me to strip down in the garage before coming in the house. B)

I've been doin' that for years, Steve, and it has nothing to do with bed bugs. :D

HAHAHA. Good one!

I just took back a SLO property that had an empty pump spray bottle of "bed bug and flea killer" not a great sign...

. . .My wife is now requiring me to strip down in the garage before coming in the house. :D

I've been doin' that for years, Steve, and it has nothing to do with bed bugs. :wub:

HAHAHA. Good one!

I just took back a SLO property that had an empty pump spray bottle of "bed bug and flea killer" not a great sign...

Look on the bright side, Cole. At least the t/b's tried to remedy the situation instead of letting if fester. B)

If the problem gets too much worse I think they should consider bringing back DDT. That was what wiped them out years ago.

Along with the Bald Eagle.