The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
speedingpenguin

Top 5 Favorite Books?

I love to read, though I didn't really enjoy reading until a little over a year ago. Since I started reading books and listening to audiobooks (I consider this the same as reading), my life has changed and improved dramatically.

A year ago, I was coming out of a relationship that I wasn't happy in, I was feeling stuck at a job that I didn't like and didn't want to have, and I was taking classes at Middlesex Community College that I had no interest in being in and wasn't getting anything from.

Rich Dad Poor Dad and The Cashflow Quadrant I think were the books that sparked my journey from where I didn't want to be to where I was dreaming of being.

Since then, I've read about 35-40 different books on everything from Real Estate to time management to selling and communicating to happiness to building relationships and so on. Some have been full of great information, some have had 1 or 2 little things I was able to take from it and that's it, and a few have made a significant impact on all aspects of my life.

What books have you read (real estate related or not) that have been the MOST helpful and important in getting you to where you want to be in life?

I think that if I had to select just 5, mine would be:

-Rich Dad Poor Dad (Robert Kiyosaki)

-The Big Idea (Donny Deutsch)

-The Success Principles (Jack Canfield)

-Freedom For A Day (James Goddard)

-The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)

#1 The Bible

#2 The Power of Positive Thinking

#3 2 Richest Man in Babylon

#4 How to Win friends and Influence People

By the way they are in that order. I read each of these books every year. Sometimes twice a year.

I have to say.. The Bible is without a doubt my #1 most impacted book I've ever read and still read.

BUT other than the Bible, I do have ONE book (binder) which I have been saving in a safety box.

This book made a WORLD of impact in my life.

You see, in my school years, I spent ALL my free time and the weekends at the library. I LOVE to learn by reading.

Therefore, my second home was the library (can not get enough of information) :wub:

And then I received this one card in the mail offering THE BOOK that changed my entire life for ever.

I purchased the book way back when and since purchasing this book, I have never been back to the library.

You see, this book was the very first (or one of the very first) book introducing something called " The Internet, The Information Super Highway ", and when I read what the internet was gonna be able to do for me, (read all kinds of information online) I immediately bought a computer and eagerly waited for the internet to become public and finally it happened, the internet became public.. Since then I've not stopped surfing. Is heaven on earth to me :blush:

BEV!

In general, I enjoy books that enforce the ideas of positive thinking and energy. You mentioned Eckhart Tolle, who is good example. Also, Louise Hay comes to mind, as does Esther Hicks. My wife is a fan of Feng Shui and enjoys reading material by Joey Yap.

Years ago, when I wore a younger man's clothes, I received my Master's degree in Literature. So I had the pleasure of reading many of the classics. Time permitting, I'm a happy camper if I can sit down and read most anything by Ernest Hemingway, and I've always considered Thoreau's Walden as one of my all time faves, along with Jack Kerouac's On The Road.

Chris....

I could have typed the exact same post as you. As I HATED reading up to about 4 years ago, I would have rather have been playing wiffleball, beach volleyball, golfing, or maybe even watching the GRASS GROW.

It started with Rich Dad/Poor Dad and his subsequent books. I started to devour real estate investing books, then started to look to improve ME as a person. I read How To Stop Worrying And Start Living, as well as, How To Win Friends And Influence Others by Dale Carneige. I'm also a big fan of quotes from every aspect of life. <----I often post these quotes on my personal Facebook page to give others a little pick-me-up.

I didn't realize how "stupid" and uneducated I really was and how much time I had lost being complacent & somewhat lazy when it came to educating myself after college.

Recently, I've started working on what I BELIEVE IN/STAND FOR and what my values and principles are. I've just recently become re-acquainted with God so I'm starting to read the Bible later this Fall. As I start to have a little more money coming in, I'm going to start having books from Amazon delivered to my house weekly.

So...my top 5 would be:

Rich Dad/Poor Dad

How To Stop Worrying And Start Living

Arguing With Idiots

The 5000 Year Leap

The One Minute Manager

Darin

Also, Louise Hay comes to mind, as does Esther Hicks.

Another one of the first books that got me going was Money and the Law of Attraction by Jerry and Esther Hicks... Excellent stuff!

Louise Hay, any particular titles to check out?

Also, Louise Hay comes to mind, as does Esther Hicks.

Another one of the first books that got me going was Money and the Law of Attraction by Jerry and Esther Hicks... Excellent stuff!

Louise Hay, any particular titles to check out?

Chris, probably her most popular book is You Can Heal Your Life. But there are many others that come highly recommended. Enjoy!

Nice!

My favorite way to buy books is to get 'em used off of Amazon.com

That way I can buy 5-10 books for the price of 1 book, so I'll grab that one and see what other ones are highly rated on there.

Keep the suggestions coming guys! No reason to limit your list to 5 really :-)

Think and Grow Rich-Napolean Hill

Virus of the Mind:The New Science of Meme-Richard Brodie

Greatest Salesman in the World-Og Mandino

Art of the Deal-Donald Trump

Screw it, Just do it-Richard Branson

Drug Lord by Terrence Poppa is a GREAT book....course...it has nothing to do with motivation..unless you want to bring cocaine in from Mexico...but it's a great book about Pablo Acosta

One Ranger is about Juaquen (sp?) Jackson, and has some good stories about the TExas Rangers. (not baseball Rangers)

One Minute Millionare is a good book, and believe it or not, the book that kind of got me leaning off the fence about real estate...I guess 9 year ago.

Any books about TEsla are of course good.

I know MC likes to curl up with a blankey and a Nicholas Sparks book while wearing his leopard house shoes.

9 Lies That Are Holding Your Business Back, Steve Chandler & Sam Beckford

No BS Business Success, Dan Kennedy

SPIN Selling, Neil Rackham

The 4-Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss

Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill

Work the System - Sam Carpenter (a great book on setting up and maintaining systems in your business)

The 4-Hour Work Week - Tim Ferriss (of course...)

Anthony Robbins audiobooks (too many good ones to name!)

Brian Tracy audiobooks (also too many good ones to name just one!)

Secrets of Power Negotiating - Roger Dawson

I've got a bunch of Anthony Robbins and Brian Tracy audiobooks and a lot of other good audiobooks! Shoot me a message and maybe we can trade audiobooks? Let me know!

Excellent question!! And very excellent choices posted here.

Mine would be (for real estate investing):

1. The Holy Bible

2. The Slight Edge - Jeff Olson

3. Trump Style Negotiation - George H Ross and Donald Trump

4. The Art of the Deal - Trump

5. Rich Dad's Increase Your Financial I.Q

Other than the Bible as #1, the other 4 are not in any particular order.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Andrew