The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
speedingpenguin

Your cold calling technique/style

I've been having difficulty making cold calls lately. I'm running on a shoestring marketing budget now (I got used to being able to send lots of direct mail) and I keep getting discouraged by how my calls go. I'm calling mostly FSBO ads and have a spreadsheet open now with expireds I'm gonna hunt down numbers for.

I'm licensed in MA so that ads a slight twist to my situation (having to disclose up front/ answer "yes" to "are you an agent"), but I know it shouldn't be a problem.

What sort of style works best for you? Acting as if you're the buyer and it's an investment property? Go straight for the "would you sell on a lease-purchase? ... I've got buyers who want to buy your house rent-to-own..."

How many calls are you making and how many deals do you get from them?

Chris, years ago before the internet existed, (yes, I'm from the Jurassic Park era), I utilized calling FSBO's from the newspaper as my sole method of finding deals. Like anything, it got easier with experience. I never did enjoy it, but that's the way I rolled back then. <_<

Can't say I've done any cold calling in probably ten years or so now. But if I was my goal would be to get to the heart of the matter ASAP. Nothing frustrated me more than spending 20 minutes on the phone with someone, only to be told, "I'm not interested". With that in mind, I would go right into the thrust of my call: "I saw your ad in the paper and I was wondering if you'd be interested in selling with a lease purchase", or something similar. Saying you have prospective tenant/buyers at the ready is also something I would use.

Good points Michael! I'm gonna try letting craigslist ads age... I know when the newspapers still had houses for sale in them it was suggested that you let the classifieds section "age" before calling on ads, I've been frustrated with calling on Craigslist Ads, so I'm gonna give this a shot! I've got an Excel spreadsheet with the phone number, name, town, and price as well as a copy of the ad, I'm thinking maybe I'll let'em stew for about 3 or 4 weeks maybe? Could be the ads I've been calling on are fresh so the sellers are still expecting a full price cash offer with their next craigslist post!

But yeah, I like the idea of just going straight for the "would you sell on a lease purchase" :-)

Thanks as usual!

and by the way, my parents are dinosaurs too ;-)