The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
baron14

Is Craigslist Dead Now?

MichaelC's email is a framework to start from, but I think he's posted it several times on here for us to use as-is or modified... at least that's how I've understood it, and it's what I've been doing. It's an email that works well and has proven itself to be effective, and since the email isn't being posted on Craigslist it shouldn't get flagged by CL at all. Only if it was being posted as an ad, then maybe it would get flagged.

Also, you ARE a VERY creative person. We all are. For some people, creativity comes easier than others. But it's not because some people are really creative and others aren't creative, it's because some people have more practice and experience being creative than others. Try this, maybe it will help you.

You know what MichaelC's email looks like, you know what the tweaked version of yours that I posted looks like, you know what you're looks like obviously... Every day, start from scratch and re-write your own email.

Think about what the person on the other end (the seller/landlord) is feeling, thinking, doubtful of, curious about, or wanting.

Imagine you've been renting a house out for the last 10 years and it's giving you headaches now, you're feeling frustrated and you've been thinking that it would be nice to get out of playing landlord once and for all. So you post ads on Craigslist, get some calls and emails from real estate agents, property managers, tire-kicker tenants, investors who try and beat you up and make low-ball offers, and someone who you don't know sends you an email asking if you'd consider selling your rental property on a lease-purchase.

You reply "Possibly, I don't know much about that, but tell me more", and at this point you're not sure if this is a con-artist from Nigeria who's going to try and scam you possibly, if it's spam, or if it's a legitimate question/proposal.

Think about the next email you get from this guy named Baron and what you'll be thinking/feeling when you read it.

Write a slightly different email every day, don't start with yesterdays, start from scratch and see what it ends up like. Keep at it for a few days and then weeks and then see how creative you're feeling :-)

Even if it turns out to not be what you were hoping, the creative juices will be flowing and you'll become more comfortable writing and thinking in a way that will get a better response.

I wouldn't go generic on the 1st message with a we-buy-houses type of email, I'd guess that most people would think it was spam or a scam. (you ever posted a property for sale on craigslist and seen some of the replies you get?) "Would you consider selling on a lease-purchase?" is short, sweet, to the point, and will get a response if the person is interested at all.

With direct marketing I think it's important to make the message as custom/specific to the person you're sending it to as you possibly can. With my first email, the subject is something like "Re: Townhouse for sale in Westford" and the message is "Hi, I saw your ad on Craigslist for the townhouse for sale in Westford. Would you consider selling on a lease-purchase?"

Now the person receiving the email knows that you're asking about their specific property, it's not just a bulk email that's going out to everyone on craigslist. This will improve your response rate.

Are you including your phone number in the email? If not, sign up for a Gmail account and then get Google Voice (it's free) and choose a local phone number. I think that signing the email with your full name AND a local phone number will also increase your response rate, because now the person knows that you're an actual person, that you're somewhat local (at least a local area code), and that you're available to talk on the phone if they're doubtful at all.

Remember that the purpose of these emails isn't to solve the persons problem or sell them on your service, but rather to get the sellers/landlords who MIGHT be interested in what you have to offer to raise their hands, and then to get them on the phone. THEN you can ask them the questions you need answers to ("Hey, thanks for calling me back. Would it be OK if I asked you a few questions about your house?"), and if you can solve their problem THEN you can present your solution. No sense in trying to solve their problem if it isn't a problem in the first place!

I think you might be over thinking all of this like you said. Don't let it bother you, we've all been there I suspect. I know I have. (It still happens, too!)

Lots of successful people in business and marketing will agree, copying successful people is smart. Do what successful people are doing and you'll get similar results. That's not to say you should be stealing other peoples marketing materials word for word (unless you have permission to use it as-is), but I'll be the first to stand up and admit to searching Craigslist in other cities across the country for good marketing and then making my own version in a similar style because it's stuff that I know works. (it's funny how you can Google a line from a good ad and usually find clues as to which guru or what investor created it)

Excellent post, Chris. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the matter. :unsure:

MichaelC's email is a framework to start from, but I think he's posted it several times on here for us to use as-is or modified... at least that's how I've understood it, and it's what I've been doing.
Absolutely.

Excellent post, Chris. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the matter. :unsure:

MichaelC's email is a framework to start from, but I think he's posted it several times on here for us to use as-is or modified... at least that's how I've understood it, and it's what I've been doing.
Absolutely.

Thank YOU Michael for providing such a great place for us all to learn from each other and share our experiences! Just came home from picking up a check and a note for a total of $7,900 thanks to your manual and this forum!

Hey Chris

Thanks for that Great informative Marketing 101 Lesson! I like the way you break it all down

and analyze the pychology of it. There are a lot of great tips I will put into use!

This is a great forum that MichaelC has provided for us.

Thank you all for sharing and helping the less experienced newbies!!

P.S. Congrats on picking up that $7500 check and note! Way to Go!

. . .Thank YOU Michael for providing such a great place for us all to learn from each other and share our experiences! Just came home from picking up a check and a note for a total of $7,900 thanks to your manual and this forum!

Sweet! Just in time for some Black Friday stimulus spending. :unsure:

Hi Lynn (FL)

Hey you mentioned the 2nd email that is listed below is basically what you use as the phone script AFTER your 2nd email to the FRBO. What kind of 2nd email do you send the FRBO?

After the seller gets my 2nd email, I no longer hear from them, even though some state after my 1st email, they may consider renting then selling at the end of the lease. Some think I am trying to "sell them on some kind of service".

Maybe I'll focus on telling the FRBO "call me to see if your house qualifies for my qualified T/Bs" in my 2nd email so that the ball is in their court.

Thanks

baron14

Baron,

I use MC's 2nd email has he has it in the manual.

Yes, for me, I rarely hear from anyone after that 2nd email. Guess they're just tire kicking.

Lynn (FL)

A lot of people won't respond after that second email, which is to be expected. It's the one or two that DO reply that they are interested or want more information that matter, not the ones that don't reply ;-)

Hi Chris_MA

I used my full name and phone number in the 1st email as you advised and have noticed more positive resposnses using this technique.

What I don't understand is why a few propsects say they are interested or may be consider doing a LO, but after the 2nd email, I don't hear from them again. I'm wondering why they go from warm to cold. Anyway, I'll keep at it.

They might not really know what a lease purchase is, or they may have their own ideas of what they would do, and after getting a little more information from your second email, they decide it's not right for them.

I've talked to sellers on the phone who say that yes, they would do a lease purchase, but when it comes down to talking details, they want 20% down and are only willing to go 6 months out.

Some people probably loose interest after learning that you're not the one looking to live in the house, too.

This is actually good, because now you're not wasting time on the phone with the ones that aren't motivated enough to work with... they've weeded themselves out for you!

It's not about how many people reply to your second email, it's about the small few that are actually motivated and willing to sign a contract.

Just keep sending the emails out and you'll have some deals come up! It does work if you stick with it!

It's not about how many people reply to your second email, it's about the small few that are actually motivated and willing to sign a contract.

Couldn't have said it better myself!