The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
speedingpenguin

Some scammer &%$# is using my phone number on his fake Postle

Over the weekend I started getting phone calls about properties for rent in Arizona, Maryland, New York, and Alabama.

This would be great, if I owned the properties or knew anything about them!

Apparently someones posted a bunch of ads on Postlets, Oodle, and a few other sites with properties that look nice, have a real description, and seem legit (rent seems reasonable, etc.)

I finally had the people calling me give me the URL for the ads, and I emailed one of them pretending to be an interested buyer/renter, and of course....

SCAM!

Subject: House for rent on Craigslist

To: iwonaekurek@yahoo.com

Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 12:55 AM

Hi could you tell me more about the house you've got for rent on Craigslist in Stony Island?

Thanks,

-Chris

Subject: [sPAM] Re: House for rent on Craigslist

From: Iwona e Kurek <iwonaekurek@yahoo.com> (Add as Preferred Sender)

Date: Wed, Dec 01, 2010 8:56 am

To: chris@chrispayscash.com

From Subject (Thread Messages) Date Size

Hello,

Thanks for the email. Yes, the House is still available and will only be given out to the right person that will take very good care of the place and the facilities. Well i must let you know that the house has a lot of facilities like laundry facilities,air condition,internet and telephone access and car garage and other necessary facilities.I have really decided to give out the house as a result of my transfer to London UK,in my place of work.

Rent per month is---------------$1000

Security Deposit----------------$500

Total to move in is-------------$1500

RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name________________________

2)Current Address_____________________________

3)Phone Number (________)

4)State________________

5)City__________________

6) Zip______________

7)Are you married______________________

8)How many people will be living in the house__________

9)Do you have a pet______________

10)Do you have a car______________________

11)Occupation______________

12)How many people will be living in the house___________

13)Email Address:_________________

14)How long lease are you looking for______________

15)How soon do you intend moving in________________

I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it ,so let me know as soon as possible if you can take good care of it, so that we can discuss the rent further.

House Address: 5 Smith Street Stony Point NY 10980

Bedroom: 3

Bathroom: 1.5

Sq. footage: 1536

Utilities Included in the rent are water ,Gas and electricity

Pets allowed are DOGS and CATS

Drive by the house immediately.

Thanks and God bless you amen.

Iwona E Kurek

So I figured "what the hell!" and I filled out the application with BS and sent it back. (Santa Clause who lives at a donut shop in the rough city of Lawrence is looking to rent in New York, you know?)

Subject: RE: [sPAM] Re: House for rent on Craigslist

To: "Iwona e Kurek" <iwonaekurek@yahoo.com>

Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 2:29 AM

Hi Iwona Kurek,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm eager to get started, I've filled out the application for you. What is the next step?

RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name__Christopher Kringle_____

2)Current Address___297 Andover St______

3)Phone Number (_978-616-9420_______)

4)State___Massachusetts_____________

5)City______Lawrence____________

6) Zip_____01843_________

7)Are you married______Yes________________

8)How many people will be living in the house____2______

9)Do you have a pet______No______

10)Do you have a car______Yes_____

11)Occupation__Industrial Welder_____

12)How many people will be living in the house____2______

13)Email Address:___craigs01list@gmail.com_______

14)How long lease are you looking for_____24 months_______

15)How soon do you intend moving in_____As soon as possible_______

And today I got:

Subject: Application Accepted

Date: Thu, Dec 02, 2010 8:46 am

Hello Christopher Kringle,

Glad to hear from you,i got your application form filled and everything is okay by me.

Myself and my husband are very exited and willing to let you move in our house as soon as possible and we have concluded in accepting payment for the first month payment which is $1000 including Utilities inside and a security deposit of $500 total of $1500 to move in as soon as you are ready.

The package containing the keys and documents will be delivered to your address (297 Andover St Lawrence Massachusetts 01843) after your deposit is confirmed here.

Here are the contents of the document.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys

2)Paper/Permanent house form

3)The house documents file.

Once again, we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us.

So I am with your information's here with me and i will like to know whether you are ready for the payment of this month Rent so that the keys and the document could be shipped to you as soon as possible so that you can possible occupy the house know.Your full address is needed because that is where i will send the keys and documents of the House.

Call me # +44 70457 53199

Thanks and God bless you

Iwona E Kurek

Subject: Lease Agreement Attached

Date: Thu, Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am

Hello Christopher Kringle,

I have attached a copy of the lease agreement for you to sign and return back to me at your own convenient time,also let me know if you are ready to secure the house now for your move in immediately so i could mail the keys through UPS courier company to your address at (297 Andover St Lawrence Massachusetts 01843)

BELOW IS MY WESTERN UNION PAYMENT INFORMATION TO ENABLE YOU SEND THE FIRST MONTH RENT AND SECURITY DEPOSIT TO SECURE THE HOUSE FOR YOUR MOVE IN ASAP:

Receiver Name: Iwona E Kurek

Address: 47 Sidcup Rd ,London SE12 8BL, United Kingdom

Text Question: God Is

Text Answer: Good

Amount:$1500

Use the above information go to any western union outlet and make the payment email me the confirmation number as soon as you complete payment.

NOTE: PRINT OUT THE LEASE AGREEMENT,SIGN AND SEND BACK TO ME ATTACHED,

Thanks and God bless you amen.

Iwona E Kurek

I'm definitley going to give this person a call (Thank you Google Voice!), any ideas what I should say?

And more importantly, how do I get these ads down??? I changed my voicemail greeting on the number that is being posted (Thank God I'm using tossable phone numbers!) to say that any ads for properties NOT in MA or NH are bogus and that I don't have anything available other than MA and NH, but people are still calling and leaving voicemails for me to call back because they're interested in the house in (insert city that I don't have any real estate in), and it's getting annoying!

I've seen that before with my houses, and those people living in villages in Nigeria are pretty good. They will pull the tax records and set up a gmail that contains part of the owners name.

Not much you can do about it.

I played with a person in Nigeria like you did above and told the guy I was flying to Nigeria and he was offering to pick me up at the airport!!! HA!

Tell them you have a friend that lives close to this house and they did a drive by and the house has burned down and ask them to explain.

That's funny stuff, Chris. Those scams have been around for a long time. I'm surprised they're still running it, but I guess that means they're stilling finding suckers. If you want to play with some Nigerian scammers, here's an entertaining website: http://www.419eater.com/