The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
EQUITY NOTES

c/a

I did see some topics regarding craigslist, however it did not pertain to these questions

When i search for by owner only, I get realtors galore or if i refine search to by owner I get maybe 4 listings, again by realtors

I imagine this is the same for you also?

Is craiglist now become a realtor site?

Do any of you email the listing even if it shows a realtor? ( I know some avoid it)

Does realtor need to tell owner of your inquire on lease purchase?

Have most of you avoided craiglist now due to same or similar problems?

I know Chris and a few others on board are realtors and hope to get some feedback from them

I guess for now just forget craiglist?

Thanks for any and all input

Tom

The way I see it, Craigslist emails are 100% free to send (other than your time).

What I do is have an excel spreadsheet on half the screen and craigslist on the other half, and I'll search in the "By Owner" section for 3br (or +) under $450,000.

I'll go ad by ad, some I'll recognize as houses that have been on CL before so I'll skip them as well as any of the ones that are obviously not a FSBO/FRBO. Right click -> copy email address from the CL ad, paste in to the "Email" column on my spreadsheet, fill in the city/town, price, and copy/paste the description (in it's own cell) into the spreadsheet and on to the next ad.

As terrible as it sounds, I just keep going down Craigslist until I hit the ads that I clicked previously (link shows up a different color). I'm working on making this system more efficient (possibly using a scraping program or VA), but this is where I'm at right now.

Once I've got my spreadsheet all filled in / updated, I save it as a .CSV and import it to my prospect management / marketing program where it plugs the information from the spreadsheet into my email template and sends it off to the recipient!

I send out 8-10 emails to new FSBO's every 2-3 days. Different times of the week are busier than others, sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more, but that kinda gives you an idea of what the Boston CL market is like

I'd say keep at it with the Craigslist emails, they're cheap and work pretty good. Not only that, but it's something you could easily outsource if you're ready/able to put a little money in to a VA

I think Craig's is still very much a valid sorce for finding motivated sellers; however, if real estate agents want the protections of governmet regulations then they have to play by their own rules. If they are posting on Craig's "by Owner" or other FSBO sites their ethics are in question by trying to fool the consumer.

I personally filter out the ads with the keywords, Realtor, Agent, Management, MLS, etc....but there are times you'll still have Agents pop up on the radar. I know MC pretty much just ignores them or doesn't even reply, I'm a little more bullheaded.

If I have time and stumble upon a "Realtor in Sheep's Clothing", I simply reply to them with this:

Mr or Mrs (fill in the blank with said Agent),

By failing to clearly disclose your Brokerage in ANY advertising you do, you are violating the NAR Code of Ethics. I'm sure this was just an oversight, so please change your ads and be more aware of how you are advertising in the future. I'm sure you do not want to have your license revoked or suspended as well as having your Brokerage receive a call from the NAR or the local Association of Realtors.

Code of Ethics and Standards

of Practice, National

Association of REALTORS®

Article 12

REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations. REALTORS® shall ensure that their status as real estate professionals is readily apparent in their advertising, marketing, and other representations, and that the recipients of all real estate communications are, or have been, notified that those communications are from a real estate professional. (Amended 1/08)

Standard of Practice 12-5

REALTORS® shall not advertise nor permit any person employed by or affiliated with them to advertise listed property in any medium (e.g., electronically, print, radio, television, etc.) without disclosing the name of that REALTOR®'s firm in a reasonable and readily apparent manner. (Adopted 11/86, Amended 1/07)

Standard of Practice 12-6

REALTORS®, when advertising unlisted real property for sale/lease in which they have an ownership interest, shall disclose their status as both owners/landlords and as REALTORS® or real estate licensees. (Amended 1/93)

Thank you for your understanding.

You must forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Darin "make room in your hearts for Realtors as they will always be high on the least respected professions list" Ray

...aka Darin "Mahatma Gandhi" Ray ^_^

I used to bother reminding agents they shouldn't post ads without disclosing they're an agent, until I realized

a) agents are never sanctioned for it

b ) not one agent has ever stopped because I told them they should

c) they'll keep doing it until somebody with real clout (not a mere citizen like me) makes a complaint, because the Board of Realtors doesn't care

d) they rationalize their ethics violations by saying "I'm just helping a friend/co-worker/girlfriend/you-name-it"

I've also bothered marking agent ads in the FSBO section using Craiglist's complaint feature, but that also accomplished nothing. Craiglist lets Realtors get away with spammy behavior that they wouldn't tolerate when done by us ordinary citizens. I've concluded that Craigslist doesn't really care what Realtors do even though CL specifically created the FSBO boards to confine Realtors to their own boards.

Not worth the energy IMO to go after Realtors advertising in the FSBO section. Who cares. I just skip on to the next one that hopefully isn't a Realtor. ^_^