The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
efete1

marketing to listed properties, working with Realtors?

Hi all,

I just read a post on the main LP forum from a broker who told us all that realtors peruse ads/listings/etc. and steal marketing ideas all the time.

I am just starting to try to market to listed properties like pilot (Mr. Jackson); anyone else do this? I guess I am just concerned not only about getting flak from the realtors, but also having them steal my ideas (from my fliers, website, etc.).

Unlike in TX, realtors here do LO's as well and there is plenty of competition from them and other investors.

Anyone else do this and what has been your experience? Thanks!

Eric

Eric, I haven't yet tried this approach. I emphasize yet because I see the success John is having and I know it works. But I will, and the least of my concerns will be hearing from an irate Agent or three. As it is, I already do catch flak if a mailing of mine gets in the mailbox of one of their clients. When I receive the expected phone call, I tell the Agent I did a neighborhood mailing and her client's address was included. It won't happen again, blah, blah, blah. That ends the exchange. No harm, no foul.

As for having my ideas stolen by an Agent, I'm sure it's happened, but not enough to put me on alert. Most Agents I know follow a traditional approach to their business. Meaning they list and sell properties. Few are well versed in lease options. I don't see them as a threat. Besides, who's going to mess with a tough guy named Carbonare?? B)

Eric-

I have started to market to the sellers of listed properties using post cards. I don't worry to much in my market about real estate agents stealing any ideas. Most are of the corporate realt@r mindset. And those that do have a clue, there isn't much they will learn from my post card.

This month listing in my area of FSBOs has been slow, although it is now starting to pick up. My inventory is getting low so I am marketing to MLS listing. Not being a real estate agent, I can do dat. B) It is not in the volume as Pilot; however, I have been sending out about 150 cards per week. I did this a little last year and received some calls.

What I do like about listed properties is that there are a bunch of perfect Lease Purchase houses. Kinda motivating.

Hi Eric,

A couple of things I was taught from day one...Even in competitive markets, there is way more business then any one realtor or investor can handle. The difference is usually how fast you respond to your leads, and probably the biggest part is the rapport you build with that lead. The rapport to me has several parts. First is your posture and control. How do you talk to the lead? what image are you projecting? (I always tried to come off as the person that was not only going to solve their problem I was going to do it quickly and professionally so that they could get on with their life.) Most of our competitors are only looking at the numbers and aren't really concerned about their leads. I always felt like if I could get in front of a lead, and there was a deal there, it was mine. So, if you can get in front of that lead quickly(pitching them on your benefits) it gives you the advantage of(if you can't close it right then) letting them shop around a little if necessary and then when they have talked to the competitors you can find out what they are offering and beat it. It doesn't always work perfectly but, more times than not it does.

We are not inventing the wheel here. B) This stuff has been done for years. (I am referring to LO's and real estate investing in general) Good ideas will be copied and used. Hell we are all doing it. The main thing is to get out there and start talking to people. I kind of use pissed off realtors as a gauge to how well my marketing is working. The more I hear from, the better I feel. Especially when I am cashing checks from "their" clients. But, as Michael and other have said, the easiest way to deal with realtor calls is to just say sorry I have a marketing company that's sending those out and I even got one.

Listen, I know it can be scary, especially when you are new at this. You hear the horror stories about a realtor calling and you know what, in reality there isn't really much they can do is there? Are they going to call the marketing police?

Get out there and talk to some leads, ignore the dream stealers, and get some deals!

Matt

Steve,

Can you give us the text of your postcards?

Thanks,

Lynn (FL)

Lynn, are you kidding! I can't give you my secrets!

I use the Naked Investor Sample Intro Letter. Pared down to fit on a postcard, but the advantages are listed, my name and logo, web stie address and contact info. I have three or four different post cards as I repeat the mailings three or four times to the same list.

Steve,

Yes, I've used a scaled down version of the LPA on a postcard, also. I was just wondering if you had found something else what was working better.

How often do you remail to the same list?

Lynn (FL)

I wish there was a some magic words, just persistance. I really push that they visit my web site as an introduction to what I do.

I will re-mail every couple weeks up to three or four times.

I am currently going through an old list from September/October last year to see what properties are still on the market. Seems about 25% are still listed and I am hitting them with post cards right now.

Steve,

Yes, I've used a scaled down version of the LPA on a postcard, also. I was just wondering if you had found something else what was working better.

How often do you remail to the same list?

Lynn (FL)

Lynn-

How has it been going for you? Are you getting replies from your mail marketing?

Steve,

If I use text for Lease Purchase, I only get a small response (if any). If I use some type of "I want to buy your house..." text, then I'll get a good response, but I then have to wade through all the "Full Price - All Cash" sellers. Usually, after the smoke clears, there's not much left.

Lynn (FL)

Hi Eric,

As an Investor, you are free to market to MLS listings. I wouldn't worry about an Agent swiping your marketing. They are looking for ideas to improve their business. They are not trying to take away from your business.

We have a system called listingbook in our area where we can allow potential clients to look up any active properties in our mls and its free. But get this, you can also look up expireds and withdrawn properties in the system. There's another market to send postcards to. Just an idea.

Find out who are the highest producing agents in your area and get some of their marketing. Swipe some ideas from them. B)

. . .Find out who are the highest producing agents in your area and get some of their marketing. Swipe some ideas from them. ;)
Hehe. Now, that's good advice. B)

What kind of response are you having? Are you only buy using CA Lease Purchase, or are you a "Transactional Engineer"?

Lynn (FL)