The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
<Steve>

Politica'

Congrats to all those who participate in the political process and those in the past November election. The tide has turned and the brakes put on the government in a first step.

OK FSBOs in my market, relax now, the world is not coming to an end.

Start listing your spring season houses for sale. I need some deals! :glare:

I'm not too impressed with the end results of the budget show. Lots of BS and theatrics, but when all is said and done, little was accomplished and nothing has changed. The mentality in DC remains the same: you can still spend money you don't have. :glare:

I think the rhetoric is changing MC, true not the mentality for many. A year or two ago there was no talk of spending cuts, only raising taxes and social engineering via government control, take overs, and regulations (spread the wealth). We are nowhere near getting control of government spending. However, there is a stronger voice in DC now saying enough is enough and that was a result of the past election. And that voice is the people's voice of fiscal responsibility.

Yes, I agree the noise of the political theatrics is BS. One side is always trying to one-up the other. Childish for sure, but with 350 million people in this country and egg heads in DC it still beats shooting each other in the streets to be heard as in Libya and other places. What impresses me is that the people can still have an influence to a degree with what goes on in DC and it can be done with paper and pen.

From a simplistic view, I only see three basic things to control the debt. Increase government income, higher inflation, and spending cuts, although the reality is the need for all three to make a significant dent. Today I choose spending cuts. To increase government income, revenues, requires higher taxes "or" a stronger private sector economy resulting in an increase in cash flow, but higher taxes squashes the private sector economic growth. Higher inflation devalues the dollar and results in devaluing the debt, but also hurts the private sector's economic growth. Lastly, spending cuts gets to the heart of the problem and can reduce the need for higher taxes and reduce printing more cash risking high inflation. Spending cuts help the private sector's economy.

It seems the fight for spending cuts will continue moving forward, as it should. The people have had no choice over the past several years to "act their wage" as continuous debt is not sustainable. It's time the government does too. There will be those who will throw temper tantrums as spoiled children not getting their way because government (the tax payer) can't support them anymore. My expectations with the past election were at best to put the brakes on the liberal agenda in DC. Real government spending control, if any, will happen after the 2012 election. To control spending is to control government, and to control government is to decrease its power, and to decrease its power is to make it smaller. Spending cuts makes government smaller. The people will need to set the course by who we put in office 2012.

Well said, Steve. The problem, as I see it, is this country is more divided than it has ever been. Meaning little gets accomplished as both sides throw up smoke screens and the truth and facts are hidden. I was so hoping for a budget impasse and government shutdown. Only because a shutdown would force some folks to become more self reliant and realize the government is the problem, not the solution.

In a few months the dog and pony show begins anew, as both sides start to argue over the 2012 budget. Much ado about nothing.