The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MichaelGibson

RE Investing vs. Information/Affiliate Marketing

I am very THANKFUL that we have gurus like Michael, John and others that share their RE expertise with us by way of courses, seminars, etc.

I am equally thankful that they do not "pimp" other gurus courses just so they can make some extra $$$.

That being said, when you see so many "gurus" developing and selling their courses...and other gurus' courses...it's made my wonder whether I should continue to pursue RE...or whether I should concentrate on developing informational reports, etc., and backing it up with affiliate marketing. (I do not want to develop more than one business at a time.)

Is it just a personal preference -- RE or information marketing -- or is one better than the other in this economic climate?

Thanks for the kind words MG!

I guess it depends on the person.

I make so much more working LTB than teaching that I wondered if I should stop teaching, considering the cost/time involved.

I don't make much with training but I like the interaction and watching people use the info.

I think you can do both with no prob, but it is something to see the money that can flow to someone that is just selling "information".

Why not both? You can make money in real estate investing, and share your knowledge with other people who are willing to pay for it.... and if you're making money in real estate, don't ya think other people might want to learn how they can too? I think they go hand in hand :-)

MG, likewise, thank you for the kind words.

I've always viewed information sellers with a very skeptical eye. Not a month passes that I am not contacted by some guru, (some established and well known and others brand new and trying to make a name for themselves), asking me if I will advertise their products here for a cut of the action. My answer has always been no. I vowed when I got this site up and running that I would not turn it into a bazaar for get-rich-quick schemes. I hold fast to that sentiment today. The only exception I have made in about 8 years of being here is with the aforementioned John Jackson. And that's only because I know what he has done in the time since I met him when he was nothing more than a fledgling wannabe who purchased my manual while I was speaking at a REIC in Oklahoma. He's honest, he takes a very hands on approach with everyone he decides to work with, and the info he provides, (at a bargain basement price, I might add), is based on his experience in the real world, actually doing the very deals he talks about.

That aside, only you can determine what the best course of action for you. From personal experience, I will say that there is much more money to be made doing deals than there is talking about doing deals.

Why not both? You can make money in real estate investing, and share your knowledge with other people who are willing to pay for it.... and if you're making money in real estate, don't ya think other people might want to learn how they can too? I think they go hand in hand :-)

Nothing wrong with doing both, Chris. But I think anyone selling info, in any field, should have hands on experience and success first, before peddling themselves as a guru. I know, old fashioned concept. :glare:

There have been a few clowns who, after purchasing my manual decided they were going to get in on the gravy train. They pimped it out, threw in a pretty binder and some shiny discs, and upped the price to a ridiculous $997 and the like. Real estate genius? Hardly. But they are good at marketing their BS on the internet where, as PT Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

I agree, that's why I haven't released my real estate course yet :-P

I want to be able to have a LOT of deals under my belt (haven't decided the number yet...) first.

Doesn't mean I haven't started working on something.... and it never hurts to start building a mailing list, either!