The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Help With ODOMETER Reading

Hi guys (and gals)

Can one of you please help me with this dilemma.

One of my cars has an odometer reading of 100,333 (6 digits), but my dilemma is that I don't know how to read it.

Does this mean my car now has 100K miles and 333 blocks in it? Or does it mean it has 100K miles plus 33 more miles and 3 blocks?

I almost never use this car.. only once per month or so.

OMG, this is horrible... :D

Can someone please tell me how to read odometer? In other words, what does EACH DIGIT on my odometer stands for?

Thanks,

BEV! :)

It depends if the odometer is digital or not. :D
I checked and is not digital.. what's the verdict?

Thanks much, :)

BEV!

Having worked in the automotive industry, I'll assume this is a legitimate question (I've been asked stranger stuff than this, haha)

Odometer is all miles or km, depending where you are. I wish there was a way to measure blocks! lol

Is for my car insurance.

They want to know how many miles I drive per year.. since I'm only paying $106 every 6 months on insurance on that car that I hardly use, I need to report how many miles I've driven this year so far and they want an answer by tomorrow.. yikes!

But I don't know how to read the odometer :blink:

HELP!!!

Bev!

It's all in miles, Bev. Your odometer would be read as "one hundred thousand, three hundred and thirty three miles". How many miles you drive per year would be determined by how many miles you have put on the car since you have owned it.

Ahhhh!!

I was confused because at the other forum (automobile forum), some of the guys were telling me that the last 2 digits of the odometer were for counting the blocks, and that every 12 blocks counted as a mile, therefore, making the 4th digit on the odometer change one number..errr..very confusing for me to understand..

I did not want to give the wrong info to my insurance but now I know how to read it and all I need to do is divide the total mileage by the number of years I've owned the car to come up with the yearly mileage amount... wheww! :blink:

Thanks Admin

BEV!

Ahhhh!!

I was confused because at the other forum (automobile forum), some of the guys were telling me that the last 2 digits of the odometer were for counting the blocks, and that every 12 blocks counted as a mile, therefore, making the 4th digit on the odometer change one number..errr..very confusing for me to understand..

Because they were messing with you, haha :blink:

Beware of "Muffler Bearings" and "Headlight Fluid", but if your mechanic ever tells you that your "Flux Capacitor" needs to be changed, that IS something to take seriously! :ninja:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it :P

This may actually be the funniest post I've ever seen here.....

Also Bev, don't forget that they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary....

I think for next year when I hand in my mileage to my CPA, I will tell her it's in blocks, not miles.

Then we have to calculate the size of the blocks.

MC's car won't even start till he blows into this little device, so he probably thought the readout was his blood alcohol level.

. . .MC's car won't even start till he blows into this little device, so he probably thought the readout was his blood alcohol level.

:blink: I'm thinking the Navy Seals made a mistake last night, Jackson. Shoulda been you in that luxury hut.

Ahhhh!!

Because they were messing with you, haha :blink:

OR........ they don't know beans about cars either.

Not all guys know about the car they drive or any car for that matter.. I've even asked my neighbor about the odometer and he was puzzled too and said he never thought about how to read an odometer and gave me 200 different answers haha!

And by the way, I found out my odometer is "Digital" errrr :ninja: ( I must of looked at the wrong car last time )

MC's car won't even start till he blows into this little device, so he probably thought the readout was his blood alcohol level.
:P

BEV!

NAvy Seals???? Hmmm....According to the speech Obama gave, he personally dropped out of the helicopters and took OBL out! HA!!!!

And by the way, I found out my odometer is "Digital" errrr ( I must of looked at the wrong car last time )
:blink: Historically back in 27 BC, Vitruvius, a Roman writer and architect, used his 4 foot diameter chariot wheel as an odometer. When the wheel turned 400 times it equaled a Roman mile.

post-85-1304375518.jpg

The odometer in recent times is a device that informs the user on the miles traveled by a particular vehicle. An odometer is designed in two types, mechanical and electronic. The readout of the mechanical odometer uses 6 rolling disks with numbers 1 through 9. Typically the miles recorded go to the ten thousand place, and starts over after reaching the 99,999.9 miles. The far right number, white in the example above reads to the 10th of a mile or .8 as shown.

post-85-1304375583.jpg

Electronic odometers give you a digital readout of the mileage. Digital odometers more common today are usually part of a larger digital display panel in newer vehicles, odometer displays are usually under the speedometer. Typically the miles recorded go to the 100 thousand place and just keep going far longer than the life of the vehicle. Most do not have a far right digit to read 10ths of a mile.

So there you have it.

What? :ninja: so I took Auto Shop in Senior High.