The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
moveright

Marketing to realtors?

Did I see it correctly in another thread that people are marketing to Realtors for CA's?

I could all but swear that I saw somewhere on here (can't remember where) that John Jackson was teaching to market to realtors. Am I confused? If not, would an elaboration be available? What could possibly be in it for a realtor?

More like marketing to realtors listings, not the realtors themselves. Ahh marketing to realtors, I remember it well...not fondly...but well.

Doug is correct. Jackson markets specifically and only to listed properties. Sounds counter intuitive, but I can't argue with the results. When a property doesn't sell, who always gets the blame? The Agent, of course. Hit that homeowner up with the idea of a lease purchase and many of them will contact you and ask for more info.

Jackson is our board's idiot savant. In all aspects of his life he is clueless. But he has this marketing thing figured out damn well.

Doug is correct. Jackson markets specifically and only to listed properties. Sounds counter intuitive, but I can't argue with the results. When a property doesn't sell, who always gets the blame? The Agent, of course. Hit that homeowner up with the idea of a lease purchase and many of them will contact you and ask for more info.

Jackson is our board's idiot savant. In all aspects of his life he is clueless. But he has this marketing thing figured out damn well.

Ok, I hear ya. Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. I assume, to do this, someone like me who doesn't have MLS access would simply go to a site such as homesdatabase.com and find houses in my area I want to market to. All of these houses are from the MLS, so I get the address and send the home-owners a nice postcard via Click2Mail or equivalent. But what about the realtor? Aren't they in some sort of contract with the listing agent?

2. Ethics - If I am understanding this, I see a possible ethics issue (well, that's relative I suppose but still...). I mean, I can see into this and the advantages for us, The listing agent has already done the leg work of listing the property, details, taken pictures, etc and if the seller wants to fire them and deal with us, we have all that hard work we can utilise in order to market the property we now have under leaseoption. Or am I totally off base?

1) That's one method, Michael. You can also try www.realtor.com. Plug in the zip code you want to target and the site will show all listed properties. And, yes, the homeowner has a signed listing agreement with the real estate agency at this time. But every listing can be cancelled if that's what the homeowner wants to do. Or, the listing can remain in place while you do your thing. No reason you both can't work simultaneously. May the best man win. ;) It's easier to find a t/b than a buyer with financing in hand these days.

2) I don't see it as an ethics issue. No one is being untruthful. The homeowner will need to advice his Agent what he is doing. After that, it's between homeowner and Agent how they want to handle the rest.

On realtor.com, is there a way download the results into a spreadsheet? I did my search, got plenty of addresses, but then I have to manually enter the into into a spreadsheet.

Lynn (FL)

1) That's one method, Michael. You can also try www.realtor.com. Plug in the zip code you want to target and the site will show all listed properties. And, yes, the homeowner has a signed listing agreement with the real estate agency at this time. But every listing can be cancelled if that's what the homeowner wants to do. Or, the listing can remain in place while you do your thing. No reason you both can't work simultaneously. May the best man win. ;) It's easier to find a t/b than a buyer with financing in hand these days.

2) I don't see it as an ethics issue. No one is being untruthful. The homeowner will need to advice his Agent what he is doing. After that, it's between homeowner and Agent how they want to handle the rest.

I wouldn't throw out such things as the following, any listing can be cancelled. Or you can just wait for the listing to expire. I've been an investor for 55 years and a broker for 45 years, and many a seller has been surprised when the judge told them to pay up, and other investors were similarly surprised at the amount the judge told them to pay for tortuous interference. So as long as you play nice and cooperate we can get along. Yes, tenant buyers are only too happy to say when they first became aware of the property and if it was during the listing period. And unless the seller can prove a breach when he cancels the listing, guess what? It's not legally canceled unless mutually agreed to by the broker. The saving grace is most agents will just get upset but do nothing.

Understand I wasn't suggesting we do anything illegal or unethical. Quite the contrary. I would advise the homeowner that he has a contract with his Agent and it needs to be addressed. My thinking is that issue is between homeowner and Agent. If, after talking with his Agent the homeowner came back to me and said the Agent is angry and has threatened the homeowner with legal action, I would without hesitation step away from the deal. I'm looking for a deal and a dollar, not aggravation and attorneys.

Michael I use to be on the side of never dealing with an agent or Broker and buy before the deal was contaminated... Being a Broker myself I have seen too many uneducated agents and Brokers screw up deals trying to be the "Guy". However I have learned not to be too hasty and if the deal fits and a commission can be paid make the darn thing work and according to Realtor Ethics and assuming the Seller hasnt requested not to a buyer can have their agent present the offer to the seller.

Just request to be there too.

Any idea what goes into a postcard or letter to a listed house's homeowner? I was considering doing a small campaign using click2mail. Seems simple enough, however, what do you recommend? Postcards? If so, what would they say?. Any suggestions?