The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
scotty205

Emailing Sellers

I have been looking at sellers ads on Craigslist and most are about ballpark 10,000 overpriced. Which of course means the seller is in love with the house and wants over market value. Do you email marketers just send an email to all listed? I know some realtors also post ads in the FSBO section as well,which they should'nt but well you know. Do you respond to them as well?

Scott, first question is how do you know the property is $10K above FMV just from the ad? Are you running comps on all the listings? Now, based on my experience you may very well be correct. Most homeowners will ask for top dollar. And why not? Everyone wants as much of those greenbacks as they can get. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are "in love" with their house. It could be they are ignorant of market conditions and property values. Often, a Realtor has given them a pie-in-the-sky figure, hoping to secure a listing. Bottom line: don't fret over anyone's asking price. When you get to the point where a homeowner is interested and wants more info, then you run the numbers and get back to them with the reality of it all. If they want unrealistic numbers, let 'em go and fight the market themselves. They'll come back calling in a month or three. Happens quite often this way.

As for the Realtor ads in the FSBO section, yeah, I see it everyday, all day. :angry: I don't knowingly contact them, but some are so deceiving about who they are that I inadvertently contact them. No big deal. Once they find out what I'm looking for, they don't want me. Once I found out who they are, I don't want them. Sort of like a marriage. :P

Just because a property is advertised at a certain price doesn't mean that's actually the price the homeowner will sell for or is expecting to sell for. A lot of times I'll call up FSBO's and after asking them some questions they'll drop their price 10-15-20k or more without even really negotiating. Still doesn't mean that they're being realistic all the time, but the advertised price is usually higher than what they actually are willing to take. As far as emailing realtors, who cares. Try and avoid it if possible, but it can't hurt if they get an email

Michael, I'm looking at past sells in the area and then running the numbers. I dont use an agent. Yes, in love was probably harsh in my statement as they want to get the most out of the property.

Thanks Chris I will keep that in mind..