The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
fanelli19

Sandwich lease option

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has a sample script that they use when emailing to sellers on Craigs List for a Sandwich Lease Option? I am familiar with the CA script, but do not recall seeing the SLO script in the course or on this forum. It has been a while since I reviewed the manual. I'm trying to get back up and running and this time I want to look for the SLO first or Straight Option before pitching the CA. I have a seller that responded to the first email, and I'm looking for a good response. Before I was only pitching CA. Thanks all!

I don't recommend a script, per se, because it'll sound just like that. . .a script. Be yourself and have a few bullet points handy as a reference guide. Have a conversation with the homeowner and, first and foremost, listen to their story and try to get at their underlying reasons and motivation for speaking with you. If you can earn their trust you can get the deal. If you come off as robotic as you might when using a script, you'll get nothing.

fanelli, you should have received a copy of a document when you purchased the manual called FAQ's. This can serve as a reference guide for speaking with a homeowner about a sandwich lease. I can resend it if you no longer have it. Let me know.

Try finding out the basics about their situation first before pitching the SLO idea... Figure out why they're selling, what the numbers are (best price, how much they owe, what their monthly payment is, how soon they need to be cashed out, etc.), who's involved with making a decision... all of this info will allow you to determine if they're a good prospect or not, while at the same time giving you the info you need to make a personalized solution to their problem (trying to sell the house to move closer to family, trying to sell because it's costing too much, tenant moved out and it's been vacant for 3 months and they're making the payment each month... good stuff to know!)

Chris makes an important point. First speak with the homeowner and then determine the type of deal you can work. Their situation and the numbers of the deal will tell you which direction to take. If you try and force a sandwich lease on a homeowner who is better suited to a CA, for example, you'll end up with nothing.

Excellent advice, thank you Chris and MC. I have a seller now who is open to doing a lease option. He bought a new house, and is getting married. He has some finishing touches to make on the house now, and house will be ready by the end of next month. I'm going to get some figures from him and find out a little more about his situation. I approached him though as if I were the tenant buyer. So he is asking me questions about when I would need to move, etc. What is the best way to move forward without scaring him off? (Assuming I look at it as either a SLO or a CA).

I approached him though as if I were the tenant buyer. So he is asking me questions about when I would need to move, etc. What is the best way to move forward without scaring him off? (Assuming I look at it as either a SLO or a CA).
Always a mistake. Now you run the risk of coming off as a bait and switch con man. You need to let every homeowner known from the outset of what you are doing. At this point, get back to the homeowner ASAP and tell him you want to be sure there was no "misunderstanding", and explain what you will be doing and how it benefits him. You also need to know what type of deal you are offering, CA or sandwich. You need to be clear so the homeowner can be, also.