The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Thetattooedinvestor

Using the term "property management company"...

In PA, if a "Property management company" lease, list or manage property (as a property manager) you need a real estate license...MC, you say to use this term instead of "investor" when speaking to sellers...have you run into any problems with students in PA using the PM title?

Mike, in most every state that I am aware of, one needs to be a licensed Agent to be a property manager. In the real world of doing this for almost 20 yeears, I have never had this be an issue, however. I mean, who's watching these things? The Real Estate Police?

On occasion I have been asked by the homeowner if I'm a licensed Agent. I tell them I'm not, and go on to explain how that saves them money. That is always met with a nod of satisfaction.

This is what works for me, Mike. If this is a concerns for you, though, don't think I'm saying it's my way or the highway. Tweak your approach to match your comfort zone.

Mike, in most every state that I am aware of, one needs to be a licensed Agent to be a property manager. In the real world of doing this for almost 20 yeears, I have never had this be an issue, however. I mean, who's watching these things? The Real Estate Police?

On occasion I have been asked by the homeowner if I'm a licensed Agent. I tell them I'm not, and go on to explain how that saves them money. That is always met with a nod of satisfaction.

This is what works for me, Mike. If this is a concerns for you, though, don't think I'm saying it's my way or the highway. Tweak your approach to match your comfort zone.

Nah...doesn't bother me...just was curious...i agree with you...

Nah...doesn't bother me...just was curious...i agree with you...

Yeah, I call myself a property management company (as per the leaders' advice) and I know I'm really not. Well, sort of, but not really. but, WHO CARES? I could call myself a cleaning company because I clean up the house selling mess after divorce, doesnt matter. There's no enforcement and there would be no way TO enforce anything. Hey, you can tell the cops that you killed someone but eventually the details will show otherwise.

A very, VERY wise investor once told me "It doesn't matter what you call yourself; the fact is, this is what you do."

My attroney called me on this one, as I use "Management" in my business name. However, I don't manage properties, I manage my interest in the property. So, for SLOs I manage the tenant/buyer, my interest. For CAs the seller manages the property, I manage my deal.