The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
moveright

seller wants to see contract/agreement first

I got a reply to one of my second emails I sent to a CL ad. She asked if I had a contract/agreement she could review in detail?

What's the response you all go with on that one?

My natural inclination is to call them and say "I don't distribute my unsigned paperwork, however, let me send you some preliminary numbers and if you think this is something that will work for you, of course I'll need your signature so you will be provided with the docs"

thoughts?

MD, you know the rule: you and your paperwork are never separated. I tell the homeowner that it is against company policy on our attorney's advice that we never send out blank agreements because it may be construed as practicing law without a license. Of course, there's no validity to this, but most times it calms the issue down. Then I explain that when we decide to do business we can go over the paperwork in detail. If the homeowner is legit, they should be fine. If they're looking to score some free agreements they'll bitch and bolt. Let 'em walk.

I tell the homeowner that it is against company policy on our attorney's advice that we never send out blank agreements because it may be construed as practicing law without a license.

Beautiful. That's exactly what I was looking for. some good verbiage!

Thanks MC.