The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
ErikOk

USPS Every Door Direct Mail

Anybody used this service? It is not really targeted other than by the post office carrier route.

https://eddm.click2mail.com/

Here is the link to the USPS

https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/

Then click on the Yes next to EDDM Retail or click the blue EDDM this brings up the page that allows you to enter city, address, etc.

It seems the minimum you can do on this is 200 and max 5000. Also it appears that a standard size postcard is not allowed. But a LARGER postcard is...go figure?

I seem to recall that it is possible to bundle postcards by carrier route prior to EDDM. I'm not sure if this is still allowed. Anyone know? I'll see what I can find out.

Yessir! It's a relatively new program that very few know about, much less take advantage of.

I'm in the beginning stages of using it myself for non-real estate-related campaigns. I'm using a massive 9x12 card for mine (this is the largest the post office will allow without having to fold it). It costs $0.142 cents for each one you want delivered vs. the usual $0.88. I'd suggest bundling in groups of 50 for each carrier with a rubber band and write on a standard 8x11 piece of paper for each respective route you want them delivered to. Like you said, it's not ideal for targeted lists, but is awesome for blanketing entire neighborhoods or small city with your message. If you want to target certain demographics for whatever type of campaign you're wanting to implement, I suggest using Melissa Data (you have to create an account to use this, but well worth it).

What are your plans with it?

Yessir! It's a relatively new program that very few know about, much less take advantage of.

I'm in the beginning stages of using it myself for non-real estate-related campaigns. I'm using a massive 9x12 card for mine (this is the largest the post office will allow without having to fold it). It costs $0.142 cents for each one you want delivered vs. the usual $0.88. I'd suggest bundling in groups of 50 for each carrier with a rubber band and write on a standard 8x11 piece of paper for each respective route you want them delivered to. Like you said, it's not ideal for targeted lists, but is awesome for blanketing entire neighborhoods or small city with your message. If you want to target certain demographics for whatever type of campaign you're wanting to implement, I suggest using Melissa Data (you have to create an account to use this, but well worth it).

What are your plans with it?

I was looking at the map that shows the carrier routes & I was figuring for the cost it would allow me to hit a few subdivisions at a good price. I am not too familiar with the program yet. Is it basically addressed to "current resident"? I suppose you could keep track of carrier routes that you send to. The map on the USPS website show pretty good detail of addresses being sent to.

Just thought I would see if anybody was using it and their experiences.

Good find, Erik. I'm not familiar with the program but it sounds like it's worth looking into.

Jason! A rare sighting! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well out your way. Still the ladies man, I suppose. :)

Eric, if you decide to do it please let us know how it goes.

Hi Shar,

Yes I definitely will post more info/results.

One of the forms that needs to be filled out includes a section for "Do not deliver address(es)". This seems good to filter out bad neighborhoods that may fall within the radius & avoid delivery to apartment buildings (although this might be avoided by choosing residential only instead of residential/business). When I have time, I will get more specifics from the post office & list them on the forum.

I am thinking by the time you go ahead and purchased a targeted list you would have more money involved, than by just blanketing certain areas.

Seems that by blanketing you will save money & hit the prospects plus people you may not have sent to in the first place who may know somebody who is interested in selling. I feel those "non-prospects" so-to-speak could be valuable, especially if I put " I pay $x for referrals" on the postcard (which I understand is perfectly legal since I am NOT a broker or agent).

Just trying to brainstorm & any other thoughts you all have are appreciated.

Erik

This is really cool. I like how you can taget specific neighborhoods within a zip code, see the number of properties that will be mailed, and cost for the mailing.

I was figuring for the cost it would allow me to hit a few subdivisions at a good price. I am not too familiar with the program yet. Is it basically addressed to "current resident"?

It will probably read as, "Local Postal Customer".

If you can't afford to send a mass mailing, why not get creative and have real estate-related businesses partner up with you?

You could have your We Buy Houses message in the center of the postcard (as the most visible), while offering advertising around the edges.

If you were to mail 2,000 postcards, it will cost you $284 ($0.142/postcard x 2,000), minus printing & design fees. You may not have to get

that many to "partner" with you. I'd suggest a mortgage broker (a financing source for these folks' next home, IF they are in a position to purchase another house), a pawn shop (they may be in a bind, thus needing some extra cash to move), a storage facility (they may be downsizing and will need somewhere to store their extra stuff), a divorce attorney (divorce makes for motivated sellers)...you get the idea. Just explain to these businesses that you're blasting out 2,000 targeted/business-related postcards in the area and they can jump on board for mere pennies per house.

Depending on your costs and how many postcards you're sending, you can charge anywhere from $100-$500+ for their ad space. If you were to mail out 2,000 cards and charged them the higher figure of $500, it would cost them $0.25 to reach each house ($0.88+ if they were to do it themselves). Say you only put 5 advertisers on your card, you'll collect $2,500, use that to pay for your cards, and give me & Michael C the rest. :)

You can do the math, but this is a very lucrative endeavor...not to mention, you're pretty much getting paid to market. This same approach gave me the idea of doing this for local businesses.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Jason! A rare sighting! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well out your way.

I visit the board almost everyday...I just forget to log-in, so it looks as if I haven't been around.

Still the ladies man, I suppose. B)

Whoever said, "Pimpin' ain't easy.", didn't know what they were doing. :)