The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

How do you guys keep up with all the government crap?

I was just informed by a prospective seller that the city has introduced a 'rental housing health and safety certification fee' (translation: BS tax). $500-$600/year for each rental unit. I'm thinking that represents the entire cash flow for many landlords :) makes me wonder why anyone bothers to be a landlord anymore.

Anyway...the question is, how do you guys keep up with all this crap? I can't be bothered to read every piece of legislation that comes out and I'm certainly not going to pay my lawyer to keep me up to date.

Doug, I couldn't agree more. All this legistation is nothing more than yet another tax on citizens under the guise of consumer protection. How do I keep up with it all? I'm stockpiling gold and guns. :)

I had the local yocal taxing authority contact me, out of the blue, saying I owed them $17,000. in past taxes for my rental business. After contacting them, they were using the letter as a scare tactic. After a phone call, I now pay taxes on all the appliances in each rental unit that I own. After depreciation it comes to about $8. to $10. a year.

It's not what you know. It's what you say when you don't know. :) Or something like that.

I remember speaking with this lady at the tax place, and she seemed really disappointed that they couldn't get more out of me. They didn't realize that I was just a single joe, doing my thing, and not some large real estate office.

HOLY COW STEVE!!!

That is freakin ridiculous!!!!

Some cities in an effort to maintain the standard of living require an inspection from the city before a tenant moves in.

I guess they "track" it when an order comes in to switch the water...I guess.

Some cities in an effort to maintain the standard of living require an inspection from the city before a tenant moves in.

"Maintain standard of living" Yeah, I believe that. If that's what they're doing, then order the water yourself (no change for new tenants and advertise "water included")

"Maintain standard of living" Yeah, I believe that. If that's what they're doing, then order the water yourself (no change for new tenants and advertise "water included")

That's not a bad idea!

I think the city I'm thinking of charges..$100 or something per inspection..course, it's a crap hole WT city...I don't even market there, as I loathe driving thru it.

The whole city is a rental.

The whole city is a rental.

"CITY FOR LEASE OPTION

NO BANK QUALIFYING

8,725 BEDS, 10,225 BATHS

30% RENT CREDIT!"

:lol:

^_^ . . . B)