The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
<Steve>

Sis is an Agent

Ok here is a little story about a SLO house I have and a potential tenant/buyer. Very nice family came out last week to look at the house. The house has bright paint colors and really needs to be painted on the inside with a more neutral color. Typically I will just let the tenant/buyer paint and I don’t worry about it. However, with the bright colors it can turn off many potential t/bs so I was considering painting anyway. No big deal just a couple rooms.

Well this nice family told me that her sister should be showing up to see the house too. The sister shows up and was a past real estate agent and is no longer licensed now. Sheesh. :glare: Ok, so what. Well with a third wheel it can make things complicated but I rolled with it. This sister/agent was the stereo typical aggressive type agent who tried to take control. :angry: You go girl! :D All of a sudden just a couple rooms to be painted turned into a bunch more and the sister/agent wanted an inspection. Also the sister/agent wanted to negotiate price and offered to pay 6 months’ rent in advance as this tenant/buyer has plenty of $$ in the bank. We had not discussed the number yet and it didn’t benefit me really to receive a bunch of rent up front to lower the price.

Today was the inspection. Everyone shows up. Well with an inspection, the inspector is going to find any little thing he can to earn his keep. And typically it will be thrown in my face to fix or negotiate the numbers. <_< Typically this gets under my skin and I would just tell them to kiss my… and go away. The inspection was to take a couple hours so everyone left to let the inspector to do his work. I knew what to expect when I came back and I didn’t want to hear about the stupid petty stuff. Then while I was out I received a phone call from someone who wanted to see this house. Now it was time to turn the tables. I said sure come over and take a look at the house in 30 minutes.

Well, we all returned to the house and the inspector started going over his list. I had already spoken with the inspector and knew what he was going to say. I could see this sister/agent gearing up to let me have it, and then my other showing came to the front door. Perfect! B) When they walked in you should have seen the agents face. :o It was great and I was back in control. I showed the house and let the inspector talk with the others. At the end the sister/agent did a complete about face thinking now they could lose the house. No more BSing. I then asked for $1K more in option consideration and $50. more in rent. Oh and the inspection? When I asked, they said everything was just fine no problems at all. haha Love it. :lol: Deal done. :)

:lol: Love the story! Been in many similar situations when some t/b springs an Agent friend or relative on me, thinking I'm going to give the house away with a trembling hand. I usually take a hard line when they pull that move and let the tenant/buyers find another house, preferably in another state. :P In your case, the timing was perfect. I'm almost wondering if this "other showing" was a plant. . . :huh:

I'm almost wondering if this "other showing" was a plant. . . :huh:

A double agent? :blink:

hmm, maybe you should keep a couple buddies on call, just for situations like this. "Hey Bob, I need you to pretend to be a buyer in 30 minutes."

I know right. I wasn't expecting such a strong come back that they wanted the house immediatly.