The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Kirc

What to do when the seller wants to assert control

I had a couple appointments today and both sellers insisted on using their own lease contracts in the deal. I'd rather use my own lease for obvious reasons, but how do you guys get the seller, who is normally the screener, to accept your agreements instead of his?

Unusual that a seller would insist on using their paperwork, let alone two wanting to do so. How many typical homeowners have lease agreements sitting around? Are these homeowners Agents or investors? That would explain their having agreements on hand.

I would make clear to them that it is advantageous to use your agreements since they are pro-homeowner and specific to doing a Rent To Own. (I'm assuming you're doing a Cooperative Assignment?)

I'm calling FRBOs (For rent by owner) so it makes sense that they feel in the control position with this.. I'll try what you suggested, thanks

That makes sense. They're investors and so want to stay with the familiar. Explain the advantages of your paperwork and they may be fine with that. If not, ask for a look at their's and see how it compares. Whatever you do, if they ask for a look at your agreements, do not leave a copy with them. Meet with them and when you leave the agreements leave with you. Otherwise you'll have put them in business for themselves and you won't be hearing from them again.