The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
ErikOk

Lease Application for Tenants

Just wondering how you all handle confirming identification (driver license or photo ID), social security number, and stated income on the lease application.

Do you require that each tenant provide copies of there driver license/photo ID, social security card, pay check stub (to confirm employment), and last years W-2 or tax returns (to confirm income)?

I'm trying not to be too intrusive, but I want to make sure the person is who they say they are. And also confirming employment/income would be for their benefit as well, because some people might not think about having too little income vs their expenses.

Thoughts?

I ask if a potential t/b would volunteer a copy of their driver's license to prove who they are, and proof of employment like a copy of a pay stub. Any information that they do not want to disclose they can cross through it.

I ask if a potential t/b would volunteer a copy of their driver's license to prove who they are, and proof of employment like a copy of a pay stub. Any information that they do not want to disclose they can cross through it.

Hey Steve,

What are your thoughts about the copy of the social security card & W2 or tax return to prove income? Like I said, I'm thinking it would benefit the tenant-buyer as well as me in making sure they can afford the home.

Depends on the individual you're dealing with. I know some will be adamant about what they see as an invasion of privacy. Of course, that gives you the option of passing on them and looking for someone else.

Hey Erik-

I don't ask for a S.S. card. Many times if someone is self-employed or has ther own business, I will ask for a copy of last years taxes returns (first couple pages) as they may not get a pay stub. I don't see the harm in asking for a W2. But like MC said, giving extra info. is voluntary and depends on the individual. The more information a t/b gives the better their chances to get the house.