The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
ErikOk

Anyone used this credit reporting company?

https://www.tenantbackgroundsearch.com/

Looks like you get a lot for $32.95.

Although, I didn't see a phone number or address on the site. Yikes!

I know MC recommends aaacredit.net. From what I can tell the score they provide is what is called the FICO score. Is that right MC? Do you still use aaacredit.net, or somebody else now?

I also looked on e-renter.com and they mention:

"Please note that you will not receive an actual copy of the credit report or the actual credit score. You will receive a Tenant Background Check Report"

I see a lot of sites like this where you don't get the credit report or FICO score. Has anybody used these types of reports and are they as accurate as getting one with the tenant-buyers actual score? I don't understand why the don't just provide the FICO score.

Then there are sites like www.advantagetenant.com that require "Copy of State ID and Prof. License or Proof of Ownership" and/or a site inspection. (not so good for a CA) :P

I'm interested in hearing feedback from others about who they are using for these credit and/or criminal checks.

I know annualcreditreport.com allows a potential tenant-buyer to pull their own report, but I'm not so sure I can trust them, especially these days when it is easy to photoshop stuff like birth certificates. :)

Thanks,

Erik

I'm not familiar with that company you linked above. Seems like they could be offering products we could use, but the lack of any contact info on their site raises red flags, at least for me.

I've used advantagetenant.com before and it's a pretty service.

It's fairly standard as far as the requirements.

You need to show that you are a business, and they send someone out to take pictures of your file cabinets, and yoru office has to have a lock on it, and of course your front door has to have a lock, and the file cabinets have to lock.

You also need a password on your computer, but they didn't check that.

I found a mortgage broker and explained what I'm doing, and asked if he would like to work me. He said sure, and offered to

do my credit checks for free since they might be potential clients.

As far as background checks, For now, I am leaving that to the seller. I will point them in the right direction, but I don't want to be responsible if I use a service that 'misses' something and something bad happens. Just me, and I'm still new at this game.

I've done this stuff for 10 years, and I think I've done about 8 background checks.

I only did them because I knew the people were deadbeats and just wanted to have fun.

• Like 1

I've done this stuff for 10 years, and I think I've done about 8 background checks.

I only did them because I knew the people were deadbeats and just wanted to have fun.

You're a tortured soul, Jackson.

But, yeah, I never do a full background check. If a t/b makes me so queasy and uncomfortable that I feel the need to run an investigation on their life, I already know I don't want them.

I'm really considering having the tenant/buyer pull their own report at www.annualcreditreport.com.

I'm thinking of giving them that option, or they can pay $30 for me to run it.

I will still check out for myself:

All of their personal references

Past landlords

Copy of their driver licensce/photo ID

Copy of a latest pay stub

Copy of last years W2 or income tax return

What do you all think of doing it this way?

Nothing wrong with having the applicant pull their own report and provide you with it. If they're serious they'll be happy to cooperate.

I found a mortgage broker and explained what I'm doing, and asked if he would like to work me. He said sure, and offered to

do my credit checks for free since they might be potential clients.

As far as background checks, For now, I am leaving that to the seller. I will point them in the right direction, but I don't want to be responsible if I use a service that 'misses' something and something bad happens. Just me, and I'm still new at this game.

You can also contact your local authorities such as police and state troopers. Their is bound to be someone who does consulting work. Probably retired. That how I found my guy. Retired state trooper here in Pa. General background is 25.00.

• Like 1