The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
ErikOk

Pet Deposit (Fee)

How have you all handled the issue of pets (especially dogs)? Do you do a pet fee (non-refundable) or pet deposit (refundable)? Also, what typical $$ amount?

Obviously a small dog like a terrier and the like isn't a big deal to most homeowners. I met today with a good couple (potential tenant-buyers) and the pet issue came up. They have two 1-year old Rottweilers (both male and outside/garage dogs per the T/B's).

Now my parents have owned Rotts and even a pitbull, so I know that some people have preconceived thoughts about these breeds, even though I think it all depends on the owner. The dogs my parents had were great and well socialized.

I haven't received their applications back yet. The application I have asks: Pets? and type and number, but also contains a provision stating This provision does not imply that pets are allowed.

The Tenant-buyers asked if having the dogs would be a "deal breaker" & I told them it would be considered by the homeowner along with all of the other information on the application (homeowner has final say-so).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Erik

The lease agreement states that pets are not permitted unless the homeowner grants such permission in writing. I leave it up to the homeowner. If they refuse to allow pets then, yes, it's a deal breaker for an applicant who has one. If they do permit pets, it's put in writing along with whatever specifics are agreed to, such as an additional damage deposit. I view it as a deal by deal issue and I leave it up to the homeowner.

I'm guessing the pet deposit (fee?) would be listed in the lease. But if the t/b exercises the option, what do we write in the lease about them getting the deposit back?

Obviously we don't want to reference the option in the lease agreement because we have the 2 agreements to make the deal pro-seller.

If a pet deposit is collected, simply note it in the agreement or in an addendum. It is handled like any security deposit, as per the tenant-landlord laws of your state.

I am having the Homeowner see if their insurance does/doesn't cover what is considered "aggressive breeds" (pitbull, rottweiler, german shepherd. Have any of you had issues with certain insurance companies NOT covering these breeds?

I just did a CA with an attorney (not a RE attorney) and his house, and he mentioned he was surprised to learn that the landlord is responsible for the tenant's dogs. hmmm This is state specific.

I just did a CA with an attorney (not a RE attorney) and his house, and he mentioned he was surprised to learn that the landlord is responsible for the tenant's dogs. hmmm This is state specific.

I'm anxious to hear back from the homeowner. I am also thinking in addition to mandatory renters insurance, that if they have a "bad dog" that the T/B is required to get their own insurance & provide proof to me/homeowner.

I'm anxious to hear back from the homeowner. I am also thinking in addition to mandatory renters insurance, that if they have a "bad dog" that the T/B is required to get their own insurance & provide proof to me/homeowner.

I'm sure the seller would like it, not sure about the tenant/buyer. Unless the t/b is willing, I would move on to the next.

I'm a minimalist when come to taxes and insurance, but that's just me.

I'm sure the seller would like it, not sure about the tenant/buyer. Unless the t/b is willing, I would move on to the next.

I'm a minimalist when come to taxes and insurance, but that's just me.

Yeah, you're probably right. If I hear from the homeowner that their insurances doe NOT cover the certain dogs, then I will tell any T/B's that the Homeowners policy does not cover certain breeds.