The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
lhenley

Don't want to deal with a business

After sending an email to a CraigsList ad, I get a response that the owners will consider doing a Lease Option (LO). I send them the #2 email, along with an attachment about how a LO can help them sell their property. They emailed back that this is fine, and when am I coming to see the property. Since the property is in the next county, and would be a 20-30 minute ride, I elected to email them the actual figures. I don't hear from them for a day or 2, so I check back, asking if they received my figures, and if they were ready to proceed. (A "yes" here, and I would have travelled to the property with Agreements in hand.) Owner responds back with ... "We are not ready to sign a contract with any business at this time."

I know this has happened to others, so how do you deal with owners who like the idea of doing a LO, but only if you're an individual, and going to live in the property yourself? Is that just another sign of an un-motivated seller?

Thanks,

Lynn (FL)

Lynn, when a homeowner suggests I rush out to look at his house, I always politely refuse because it has always proven to be a waste of time. Instead, I'll reply by telling the owner I'll be happy to have a look but first I want to run the numbers for him so he can determine if this is something that works for him. They rarely refuse and if he does then you know he's not serious.

In this case, I think the mistake you made was to just email the figures without explaining why you are doing so. For many homeowners, this approach is counter intuitive since they assume we need to look at their pretty countertops first.