The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Learning and Burning

Sandwich wants an extension..

I have a Sandwich that is due in August. My terms with the owner are due in august 2016. My t/b has called and said she would like an extension for one more year. My terms with the t/b expire this year. This t/b has paid like clockwork and no issues.

So, would you extend the terms,? Which I am in favor of vs finding another t/b. And what paperwork do I use to extend one year and cover my butt?

Learning and burning

I would definitely extend a t/b who is as reliable as you described above and, in fact, I have done just that. You can take several paths with this, but I choose the path of least resistance. I typically extend for six months, unless there is a pressing reason why the t/b needs another year. Rent credits cease after the original term. So now we have a t/b no longer receiving rent credits which should spark them to get financed. Speaking of financing, I inquire where they are with the mortgage process. Are they serious, or just not wanting to pack boxes and move?

To make this legal, a straightforward addendum will do, spelling out the terms of the extension.

I think it is risky for the t/b to make repairs since they aren't on title and if for some unexpected reason they don't exercise their option they've lost their money. But if they want to take that chance, get specifics in writing: what's to be done, by who, when, etc.