The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
AmericanDreamHomes

First deal done, onto the next

Well it only took me 12 years to circle back to real estate and finally do a deal! I ordered MC's course sometime back in 05' time frame, read it, and tried for all of a few weeks sort of...and now i'm back

I am retired from the Marines with a background in contracts, as well as my check in the box 4 year degree in program acquisition. I filed the paperwork for my LLC a couple months back and so it began. I'm originally from Wisconsin and due to living there for 22 years, I chose two counties to market to (waukesha & dane). I currently live out in SoCal and do marketing in Orange & Riversideed county as well.

Due to my background in the military, i'm a systems guy. I'm all about automation and using technology to cut down on repetitive task. I currently do a large amount of craigslist marketing (cubix solutions) and direct mailing. I track all my leads using Podio linked with Globiflow, zapier, vumber, and mighty text.

Last week I collected the first CA check from my WI market on a 5bd, 3.5ba house for $5,145. I used Docusign to get the short offer signed between the seller and I initially. To save time and ensure the documents were legally up to snuff I used and escrow company/real estate lawyer to complete the documents. This was all done through Docusign as well. There is nothing better than waking up and seeing an electronic transfer into the business account and not to mention I'm in California and the home is in Wisconsin.

Got a few under contract marketing them and got a few offers out waiting on sellers to sign. I look forward to learning from the forum and contributing where I can.

Don

post-36008-0-73950900-1433316920_thumb.jpg

Hello, Don, and welcome aboard! Great story. Thanks for sharing! Seems like you took the long, somewhat scenic route but you ultimately arrived at your destination: real estate. A $5K first check is a sweet intro to this business, and it sounds like you have a few more in the pipeline. Keep up the marketing, the deals will fall. Don't be shy about asking questions and sharing your experiences.

Hello, Don, and welcome aboard! Great story. Thanks for sharing! Seems like you took the long, somewhat scenic route but you ultimately arrived at your destination: real estate. A $5K first check is a sweet intro to this business, and it sounds like you have a few more in the pipeline. Keep up the marketing, the deals will fall. Don't be shy about asking questions and sharing your experiences.

Thanks MC, there is no doubt I took the world tour before coming back to it and taking action. Once I had the systems in place to take in the leads while I was working a full time job (10 hour days), full time grad student in my MBA, and having some time with the family ...it helped to not feel overwhelmed with all the moving parts. Don't get me wrong, I still have days that i blink and can't believe it's on to the next.

Look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing and different ideas they are implementing.

Don

Hi Don, congrats! I started studying RE several years ago too but have let life get in the way when it comes to actually getting started. I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge, and I love your idea of automating this business as much as possible. I'll definitely check out the systems you mentioned--thanks for sharing!

HI Jamie, I simply let time pass me by and continued to make excuses why now was not a good time. It's funny back then I had time, but hardly any money, now I got money, but hardly any time. Let me say this up front about the automation of Podio and Globiflow, you can spend endless hour messing with it. At the end of the day if you are just starting and want a low budget way of keeping track of leads, Google docs is great. The feature of highlighting duplicates is what I use on a daily basis to keep track of leads I have contacted by phone, text, or email before they turn into a legitimate lead tracked in Podio.

Don

• Like 1

Hi Don, What do you say in your first contact to a craig's list ad. Do you jump right in and ask are they up to a lease option. I tried the cubix solutions for a while. I never could get it completely figured out to where it would rotate my different email addresses correctly and Clist eventually Ghosted me.Got a lot of nasty emails back from sellers complaining about being contacted for some "scam" as they called it.

Hi Don, What do you say in your first contact to a craig's list ad. Do you jump right in and ask are they up to a lease option. I tried the cubix solutions for a while. I never could get it completely figured out to where it would rotate my different email addresses correctly and Clist eventually Ghosted me.Got a lot of nasty emails back from sellers complaining about being contacted for some "scam" as they called it.

Hi Mike,

I have a VA running the cubix solutions on a daily basis. Once he pulls the data and exports to Google docs he runs the duplicate formula against the phone numbers. We only contact new numbers and every 90 days remove the old numbers to allow for contacting them once they have had time to cook. I have an android phone plugged into the wall at the house. My VA uses mighty text pro to text a simply message such as hi this is don, you wouldn't consider selling your home after I rent it for 12-24 months would you?..if the deal is sweet enough I will stay in the middle, if not I'll assign it. When we get a response from them saying maybe or yes the VA puts it into Podio as a new lead and I call them currently. I have stopped emailing leads on Craigslist due to poor response rate. Other than craigslist I am doing direct mail and I have a way to pull numbers off Trulia and zillow fsbo.

it should be noted when I first talk with the sellers I let them know I am an investor and the deal has to make sense for both of us.