The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BillVargas

800 # or local #

I have read on the net that one option/purchase investor never answers the phone. He has an answering machine and call ID to get the numbers of those who do not leave a message. It goes on to say "those are interesting and leigitimate negotiating and technolgy tactics".

It makes sense to me, because you have the callers number and avoid the missed opportunity with the caller that hands up. I am putting my marketing material together and must decide on which number to use.

What has been your experience in regard to phones.

I think an answering machine of some sort is a necessary part of your business, but the number you use has to be something local if you are advertising locally. The 800 toll free numbers are good if you are advertising nationwide because the call is free. I know myself and those around me when we look in the paper, I never call a number that does not look local because I want to deal with someone directly. If you know you wont be answering the phone make it so your voicemail or machine answers pretty quick before your callers talk themselves into hanging up or if you have a Caller ID then that doesn't matter.

Anyways, I think the caller ID thing is a good idea, but I would answer the phone as much as possible.

Cruz or Brandon

Just our 2 cents

Cruz or Brandon

Just our 2 cents

Well, that would be 4 cents, then. Or, is it just a penny a piece?

Anyway, my buddy Bill, I prefer to use a local number. The majority of deals we do are in our own area. As such, why is it necessary to have an 800 number? This, to me, is an unnecessary expense. When starting out, we need to keep our expenses down. What can I say? I'm a fiscal conservative.

Let's say someone is looking to move into my area from across the country and has picked up my ad and is calling long distance. With long distance rates at about .04/minute, what's the likelihood that someone serious is not going to pick up the phone and call?

As for those who call, receive my answering machine and don't leave a message, I do not call them back. Again, if they are serious they will either leave a message or call me again.

My five cents..... :)

Again, thank you all for being their for me. As I wrote Michael , it is good to know that I am by myself but not alone.

I prepared most of my marketing material with my cell phone number on it. It has caller ID and messaging. The only concern that I have is that it does not receive faxes . Is receiving faxes an information part of this business? Should I get a separate land line?

Bill, I receive and send a fair number of faxes in the course of running my business. If you do any shopping around you'll find some basic fax machines for less than a hundred dollars. They're not terribly expensive and they are quite convenient.

But, as I always say, start small and grow into your business. You'll know when you need to grow.

Hi Bill glad you ask the question about a fax. I had a old fax it went bad on me, so I went out and got a HP fax1010 it works great. I paid 129.00 for it. It will work with and answering machine. If someone leaves me a message, and also needs to fax. The fax machine will pick up the signal and the fax machine will receive the fax, after the answering machine has taken the message. So Bill you can use both on the same line. Heck Qwest wanted to charge me 25 bucks a month plus 99 dollars to hook up. Hope this helps.

MichaelR

Guest steve55121

Bill,

I once used a toll free number. But what I realized is that it was harder for people to memorize the number 1-866-xxx-xxxx ext 1 ect. I get just as many calls on my local voice mail (7.40 per month) If they dont leave a message I dont call them back. I have a voice mail script I use to weed people out. If they dont leave a message chances are they are not motivated enough.

-Steve

Hi Bill,

I agree with Steve and Michael.

I too had a toll free number and it didnt really pay for itself in the beginning. I'd get a deal or two done and then try the toll free number. That way you know it's paying for itself and you have the business volume to justify it.

Just my two cents worth.

Andrew

Guest Rat_Race_Hater(ImAnEagle)

Howdy,

Did you know you can fax stuff for free at your local unemployment office?

RRH :D