The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
ErikOk

For sale by owner contacting

What do you all usually do about contacting the owners on sites like forsalebyowner.com

They have phone numbers on there, but right next to it reads:

Attention real estate agents and other third parties. This owner is a member of the National Do Not Call Registry. Solicitation calls could face a $1,000 fee.

Seems sort of silly I think.

As a business and not an individual calling them, I am wondering if the option to email them is the best choice in this situation to avoid any do not call list issues?

Erik

I can't imagine the REPs* are coming for you if you contact a homeowner on that site. You aren't an Agent or Broker and you aren't soliciting the homeowner for a listing, which is what I suspect they are wanting to prevent. It isn't difficult to make the argument you are approaching the homeowner as an interested principal in the deal.

• Like 2

Hey Michael,

I was sort of leaning toward your line of thought on that. Just because I am a business doesn't mean I'm not interested in purchasing or lease purchasing their house that THEY are advertising for sale. And definitely No, there is no thought of listing their property since I am not an agent.

We've been emailing them, but since most of the sites have phone numbers I have been seriously thinking of cold calling like we do on other FSBO sites..

BTW, what is REPs*?

There's usually a message box where you can send the owner a message. I usually just send a message ... "

I saw your ad and was wondering if you'd be interested in selling your house with a lease purchase?"

Lynn (FL)

There's usually a message box where you can send the owner a message. I usually just send a message ... "

I saw your ad and was wondering if you'd be interested in selling your house with a lease purchase?"

Lynn (FL)

That's what we have been doing. Have you ever called and did the seller get PO'd?

I've sent messages to a bunch of those listings before and gotten a call from some representative of the company (forsalebyowner.com maybe? i forget which one) wondering why I sent the same message to several dozen people in a short amount of time. I explained that I was looking for someone who'd be willing to sell with a lease purchase, but that obviously it wouldn't work for a lot of the people so I wanted to reach all the listings I would be interested in. They 'agreed' and said they'd put the messages through, but I don't 100% believe it. Maybe try sending small batches every couple days or so rather than every listing that meets your criteria all at once, but I don't think you'd run in to any sort of legal trouble. Just do it!

Erik,

No, I have not called these FSBO ads. I take a passive approach and email them. I have gotten some positive response, but nothing has come of them. I will get a response from the owner from time to time, telling me that they are not interested. I appreciate those responses as well, because it tells me that people are atleast reading my message.

Lynn (FL)

• Like 1

Erik,

No, I have not called these FSBO ads. I take a passive approach and email them. I have gotten some positive response, but nothing has come of them. I will get a response from the owner from time to time, telling me that they are not interested. I appreciate those responses as well, because it tells me that people are atleast reading my message.

Lynn (FL)

Plus, if they reply, isn't it usually from their personal email address? Cha-ching! B)

Erik,

Lynn (FL)

Plus, if they reply, isn't it usually from their personal email address? Cha-ching! B)

Probably not, I don't reply from mine. That's why I have about 10 different email addresses :P

Well, but it's an email address that will reach the seller (or has a chance of), without having to worry about a FSBO site going after you for "soliciting a listing" or preventing you from contacting the seller in the future. If you were so inclined to follow up with a "no" a few months down the road (who might be a "yes" by then), having an email address rather than sending a message through a FSBO site would be advantageous.

Well, but it's an email address that will reach the seller (or has a chance of), without having to worry about a FSBO site going after you for "soliciting a listing" or preventing you from contacting the seller in the future. If you were so inclined to follow up with a "no" a few months down the road (who might be a "yes" by then), having an email address rather than sending a message through a FSBO site would be advantageous.

Yep, couldn't hurt.

Crazy like a fox!