The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Jamie

realtors/motivated sellers

I want to compare markets with folks. I just want to start by saying that I do not have my marketing machine going yet but I am noticing a trend in my area. I have been checking the newspaper ads for a few months and there are very few FSBO's. People are also holding on to their rentals. Any inkling towards motivation is followed by a realtor's logo. I know there are more avenues besides the newspaper which I will eventually get to but I wanted to ask if anyone has made deals with people who have realtors working with them?

Another thing I have noticed is that houses do not seem to sit long here. Maybe it is the low interest rates but it seems that finding a buyer is not a problem. I know that is both good and bad but it will be much better once I find a motivated seller and use the trend to my advantage.

I plan on taking a day off work to go down to the tax office on Monday and find some out of town owners to send postcards to. That should help.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie. One of the reasons for the lack of FSBO's in your newspaper is because of the Holiday season which has just left us. Not only for you, but for me and everyone else in this business. There is a noticeable drop off in advertising and activity in December. The historical numbers will bear this out.

Conversely, you will now begin to see a return to normal levels of activity, and you should find more FSBO's to call on.

As for realtors and lease purchasing, I don't see it as a very good fit. If you do the deal the way we do it typically, you won't be putting down any cash, or very little, anyway. That being so, your friendly realtor is going to want to know where his/her six percent commission is coming from. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part your deals will come from working directly with homeowners.

Finally, if houses are moving as quickly as you say, then clearly you are in a sellers market. (Like most of the country, I might add.) This doesn't mean the deals are nonexistent. There may be fewer deals, but they are out there. It's up to you to unearth them, by both calling homeowners and having them call you. In other words, market, market, and market some more!